Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to ship a complete 650 motor and wonder the best way to package or crate it?
Pics would be be great! Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Never shipped a motorcycle engine, but I've shipped a lot of machinery. First of all, talk to your shipper and ask if there are any special requirements. Drain all the oil out of the engine, and put at least two tags on it stating that it has no oil.
In general, you will want to do something similar to this picture. You could either start with a standard pallet, or build the whole thing from scratch. Ideally, you will somehow bolt the engine into an upright position. If you cannot find a way to do that, then firmly block it and/or strap it into position.
You need 4" high legs to get the bottom high enough for a forklift or pallet jack to get under the crate, since it will weigh ~150 pounds. Also, if the crate has an obvious bottom, the drivers and shipping dock workers are less likely to roll it over.
Make sure to insure it for fair value. Either mark the crate directly with the shipping address, or make sure all labels are attached VERY well. Write "FRAGILE", "THIS SIDE UP", etc on the crate. They may get ignored, but they can't hurt.
You know this is going to be expensive, right?

-- Jim

·
Registered
167 Posts
I recently bought a Yamaha engine for a Jetboat. It came in a cardboard box, admittedly a strong cardboard box, secured with 1x2 at various points. It was shipped by FedEx I think their limit is 150lbs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. Was planning on building a crate but someone suggested to use the double walled 275lb rated box and keep it under the 150lb limit. Could also break it into two units and try to get under the 70lb regs...

·
Super Moderator
12,582 Posts
You can fit a Triumph big twin in a large rubbermaid tub. just lay a sheet of 1/4" plywood in the bottom and pack it on all sides with hard foam packing, then stuff lots of tightly wadded newspaper underneath and in all the crevices. You have to tip the engine for the lid to close.

Drill the cover in 4 places on each long side, and either side of the latch/handles, and zip tie with heavy nylon zip ties.

Fed Ex ground is ALWAYS cheapest.

I've done this 20+ times, always perfect results. Less than $100.

·
Registered
904 Posts
GPZ has a great method, I modified it slightly by blowing three cans of Great Stuff into the bottom of the Rubbermaid tub which I covered with pastic sheeting and settled the motor upon. That makes a molded foam base to carry the engine during shipping. The rest of his description is exactly what I did with good results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts