Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that there'll be many Aussies who'll vote for Victoria's Great Ocean Rd or NSW's Oxley Hwy. & they're top roads, no argument. But I'm going to be totally parochial & vote my local ride, The Gillies Range Nth Qld, which is better than anything I've ever ridden anywhere else.
So let's hear 'em. Where are the good roads in your country?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Up here in northern Ca. we have Skaggs Springs Rd and highway 175 from clearlake to hopeland.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Any road that's not a highway and doesn't have anybody in front of you is a great riding road.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The Great Ocean Road has too many tourists and the buses kick up gravel onto the apex of the corners. My fav is the old Pacific Hwy (the northern end) near Sydney, mainly cause its close to home. Since they resurfaced it its magic. Only problem is the revenue collecters who infest the place.

The Oxley is my second fav but it suffers from an over-zealous Mr Plod also.

All of these roads require a great deal of respect, I've seen many lads who ride beyond their ability come to grief. You also have to remember they are public roads so expect some dork to do a U turn just around that blind corner, or Lance tight-pants on his pushbike occupying your best line.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Here's one

Route 92 leaves Blue Mesa Reservoir from the west end by the dam. It travels west along the north edge of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison for about 30 miles of swoops, turns, switchbacks, and dizzying dropoffs to the river below.

Here's where it starts, at the observation lot by the dam.

Here's yours truly enjoying the road:

Here's the canyon you ride along, relatively free of traffic and, in my experience, 100% free of 'enfarcement.' ;)

·
30,012 Posts
There's loads here. I keep finding new roads that are unpopulated. It's brilliant.

Which doesn't answer the question, but I can never remember the road numbers. I just go out tooling around and find them.

It's the unpopulated bit I really like.....in the US they really have interstates figured out, so people use those to crunch long distances and get where they need to be, leaving the other roads for us to have fun on. We really do have it very good that way, in my view.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Well my best local (ish) road is Snake Pass or Cat & Fiddle that was of course until they put a 50 MPH speed limt on it. Cameras, Rozzers and bloody helicoptes, have they got nothing better to do.....:mad:

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They've ruined the Cat & Fiddle!!! Noooooo!!!!!
Is nothing sacred?

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
It's a BBBIIIIGGG country....:D

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh No!!

I don't believe it. I just went to town & every twisty piece of road has had it's speed limit lowered! Most are down from 100kph to 80kph (62mph to 50mph). But my beloved Gillies has been lowered to 60kph (37mph) for it's entire 19klms. I'm absolutely shattered. Even my Kombi does it faster than that. & I've just ordered a new Street Triple R! I'm going to have to find a new favourite road. Or the last point left on my licence is a gonna.
Cripes I hate this safety obsessed world. & I'm glad I lived most of my life in a less restrictive era. I wouldn't want to be young again in this environment. & if they keep on legislating all the fun out of everything. I'll be very glad to leave this bureaucratic mess of a planet.:mad:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Commiserations to Old Scratcher & the other Aussies in his neck of the woods...

We'll be thinking of you whilst we're out riding:

Mpumalanga Province

Eastern Cape

Gauteng

Western Cape

DaveB.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Move to the US southwest, OS. There are still plenty of empty, curvy, ribbons of wonderfulness that are way too deserted to patrol.

Or, obviously, South Africa.

·
30,012 Posts
Or pretty much anywhere in the united states. Perhaps not the great plains, but other than that - it's all good. Those roads are all over out here, and from what I've seen, everywhere I've been. And because of the vastness of the place, largely unpatrolled. The cops do better on main roads becuase of traffic volume.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I agree with Prop, the best roads seem to be anywhere where there's mountains or hilly terrain. The East coast shoreline is pretty boring, but I've seen some good coastal roads in the Pacific Northwest. If you catch it on a non foggy day you're blessed!

I know the back woods of Pennsylvania have plenty of hidden gems, the same thing with NY state and all of New England!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts