1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yeah, it's a bit pricey and gourmet, but the food is great, they've got three of my photos up on the back wall, and on "Two-wheel Tuesdays" if you're in before 7:30 there's half price beer, two for one appetizers and an order of house-made barbeque chips and pretzels (more like salty baguettes) on the house!

Yeah, I'm there any Tuesday the weather's fit to ride in!

I can personally recommend the stacked portebello mushrooms and the "sushi taco". Those two, plus the chips, pretzels and brew makes for a fine dinner!

Triumph Grill

·
Registered
659 Posts
OK, it's not a pub, but during non-alcohol hours there's Kaldi's.
Best espresso this side of Italy!

With my daughter after her riding review in Forest Park.

Just a neighborhood hangout -- only problem is it's too close to home, so I have to be coming back from somewhere else for it to be a good espresso run!

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
The Shannon

Had many a pint here at The Shannon in Bucklesham, Suffolk, nr Ipswich. Been quite some time since I've been back, maybe the boys with the bikes don't come 'round anymore, but they used to be there back in the 80's. Hell, maybe the pub is not even there anymore, I've heard that Tolly Cobbold went belly up in the 90's - pity - the pints were good.

If it is there, stop in and say hello from Les - the American bloke that came by on a very regular basis in the mid 80's, the American Forces Chap, I was....

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To Wyobonnie:

Some chap from the Shannon emailed the mods on the site about you.

Seems you left quite a tab there, and with compound interest and the decline in the US dollar you owe them a "few bob" is what the guy said. He said his lawyer would write c/o TRN.

He also said "tell that bloody yank his kid has been hanging round here at the pub and wants to find out where his dad is.":eek:

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you're ever north of Dublin you should pop into The Yacht Bar in Loughshinny, the home of Skerries Road Races. Locals are friendly and loads of bike pic's on the walls, good bands and a grand pint of Guinness too ;)

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Haggis,

To Wyobonnie:

Seems you left quite a tab there, and with compound interest and the decline in the US dollar you owe them a "few bob" is what the guy said. He said his lawyer would write c/o TRN.
Holey Cow -- a tab with interest!!! Better get a 2nd mortgage to pay it off!

Thanks for the updated pic -- where'd you find it at? Your own? Maybe we've crossed paths in the past? Glad to see the old pub is still there....

·
29,948 Posts
Well, the Old Dungeon Ghyll Pub in the Lake District, England was most excellent. You could stop in there (or the New Dungeon Ghyll - they had Marstons Pedigree on tap :thumbsup:) after an excellent blast over / through wrynose and hardknott passes. Fantastic scenery, excellnt uppy downy twisties.

There was also a run we did over Kirkstone Pass to the Kirkstone Pass Inn (The Highest Pub in the lake district). That involved some good riding too.

Beyond that, the Orange Tree Pub in Chelmsford was BRILLIANT until Bill and Thelma retired in about 1997 or so, and Mick the barman left. It wasn't the same after that, although research leads me to believe that it has been taken over by someone who knows what the hell he is doing, and it's apparently back to being a pub again. Wicked. Maybe I'll get to stop in there one day.

Orange Tree

Also the Horse and Groom on Galleywood common for summer evening pints, the Plough near Lancaster University for getting trashed on Boddies on summer afternoons instead of going to lectures, the Fat Scott in Lancaster for getting trashed on winter afternoons instead of going to lectures.

There was always the Nags Head in Lancastertoo, for hanging out with the Rugby League club, the brown cow, the fox and goose, the John O' Gaunt, The Water Witch.

In Chelmsford The prince of orange, the Beehive, the Cricketers, the Wig and Mirkin, the Partners (Free House excellent), The Hoop (in Stock), The Two Brewers, The Kings Arms, The Red Lion, The Fox and Hounds, The Sir Evelyn Wood, The White Horse, The Running Mare, The Bird in Hand, The Endeavour, The Fleece (previously The Golden Fleece), The Marsham Arms (for a crafty lunchtime pint when I worked at EEV), The Ship, The United Brethren, The Wheatsheaf have all provided me with solace from time to time.

There were others too...................

The Army and Navy - was a landmark but I never went in it. It wasn't on any of my staggering routes.

And then countless seaside pubs, which are great for a spot o' lunch while riding. I never drink and ride though. Save the drinking for in the evening after the bike is put to bed.

It was for the good of my health (and bank balance) that I left there. :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey WYO: no I just googled it. I'd like to have a pint with you sometime tho - I owe you one for the heartattack!

Prop: why the heck did you leave? Maybe you should come to canada and drink Canada Dry?!

I've drunk a few pints at both the Old and New Dungeon Ghyll - hiking not motorbiking tho!

I went to University in London and came across a few pubs, quite by chance! These are some of my favourite.

The Lamb and Flag

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese:

Jack Straw's Castle:

The Dickens:

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
These are just a few of the pubs I've been thrown out of!:D

Also used to Drink at the King William IV: to my shock and horror just found out, when I googled it, that it was a longstanding gay pub known to local denizens as the Willy, or Willies!!!

And I thought I was a sophisticated Law Student, but as a 19 year old was obviously bloody naive!
Here it is!

However I redeemd myself at The Flask in Hampstead where I picked up a couple of SwissAire stewardesses!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts