Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winter's starting to get me down. I still get a chance here and there to take the bike out, but when I do its mind-numbingly cold. In fact, its cold enough that its seriously got me thinking about moving.

Where's the best place to go if you want to ride year round?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Don't even think about crossing the Atlantic. If it's not raining then the cops are out in force, the roads are generally badly maintained once you get off the main ones (though even some of the A-roads are a bloody disgrace, if not downright dangerous for bikes) and driving standards of most road users seem to have hit an all time low. I'm seriously considering giving up road riding and just doing trackdays.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Realistically? Arizona, California, or New Mexico, but only for year round riding.

If I'm pipe dreaming, I'd like to ride Spain and Italy then everywhere else in the world.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Texas, or California if you can afford it. As a side note, Central Texas is one of the few locations in the US that was not hit with the housing crisis and you can still buy a brand new 1800 sq ft home here for less than 150k. Job market is stable and there's plenty to do here in the Austin area. Bad things include tornadoes and the occasional ice storm in the winter, high property tax (but no state income tax), and the drivers here are terrible. It gets cold but not midwest cold, it gets hot but not Phoenix hot. What can I say? Sometimes I feel like I am permanently in an episode of King of the Hill, but the trade-offs are there. Average 300 sunny days per year. Oh, and this is also the allergy capital of the world. Bring your Nasonex.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stay away from Wisconsin...-5 today and with the wind chill figured in its down to -25...I feel bad for speedy not being in a heated garage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the best

I have lived in MA,TX,AL,and now in southern CA. SOCAL has to be the best for riding. It is rarely wet, too hot, too cold or too anything. From where I live in Escondido the ocean view roads, mountain roads, and desert roads are all available to me in less than 45 minutes. It does cost a lot though.

-dfeaster

·
Registered
191 Posts
I live in Atlanta, not too far from the Appalachian Mountains. Thanks to so called "Global Warming" and our 10 years of drought, we have a 10 month riding season (11.5 if your a real man), with sunshine at least 85% of the time. Not to mention very predictable and forgiving police as long as you stay in Atlanta .. (except the GA State Patrol....vicious bastards!!) Speed limits are lightly enforced until you break the 15mph mark, which means 50mph on city streets, and up to 85mph on the highways is USUALLY not going to bring you any trouble. And I know of 3 Atlanta area cops wo sometimes show up to some....slightly less than legal bike gatherings. Granted its no "SoCal", but all and all, not a bad place.

PS...Saturday it was 70F...last night it was 23F when I was leaving the bar....day after tomorrow its supposed to be back to 65F. I LOVE global warming!!!

·
Banned
243 Posts
Atlanta? I was born and raised in L.A. and I tell you friends that Atlanta has some of the worst traffic I have ever seen, even by L.A. standards. As a side note, I have to agree that North County San Diego is beautiful. If it wasn't so damn expensive with their economy going belling up, and the traffic now near as bad on the 15 as it is on the 5, I would be back there in a heartbeat. I remember living there in 1997 and the 15 was pretty much clear day or night..Good luck with that now!

I live in Atlanta, not too far from the Appalachian Mountains. Thanks to so called "Global Warming" and our 10 years of drought, we have a 10 month riding season (11.5 if your a real man), with sunshine at least 85% of the time. Not to mention very predictable and forgiving police as long as you stay in Atlanta .. (except the GA State Patrol....vicious bastards!!) Speed limits are lightly enforced until you break the 15mph mark, which means 50mph on city streets, and up to 85mph on the highways is USUALLY not going to bring you any trouble. And I know of 3 Atlanta area cops wo sometimes show up to some....slightly less than legal bike gatherings. Granted its no "SoCal", but all and all, not a bad place.

PS...Saturday it was 70F...last night it was 23F when I was leaving the bar....day after tomorrow its supposed to be back to 65F. I LOVE global warming!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Are there any roads better

stelvio.jpg

Alps rock! This is apparently the Stelvio pass on the border region between Italy and Switzerland.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Alps rock! This is apparently the Stelvio pass on the border region between Italy and Switzerland.
Amen. Anywhere near the Alps or the Dolomites would be a great place to live in the summertime.

Close second to the Alps in my books is Norway. Awesome scenery, even though less and less serpentines every year (Norwegians have ruined many beautiful roads by replacing them with tunnels through the mountains).

Both places of course are useless in the winter, though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The best biking roads in the UK are here in Scotland. No question. Too numerous to mention, plus a lot are surfaced with that lovely Shelgrip. BUT, the weather can be bloody awful.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Texas is great for riding

I agree with opium98. Texas is a great place for riding year round. Sure there are a few cold days each winter, for example, it did not get above freezing in Dallas yesterday, but it was 70 on Friday. Whenever we do get cold weather, or even rain for that matter, it usually goes away quickly.

The roads in Texas are great for riding, too. Texas has a vast network of Farm to Market roads (FM### on the map), and these are usually very well maintained., so there are miles and miles of lightly-travelled, well-maintained roads. There is also great scenery all over Texas, although where I live in North Texas is some of the most boring.

The only downside to Texas is riding in the cities on the major highways. Every other vehicle is a huge SUV or pickup going 10-15 mph over the limit while their oblivious drivers talk on their phones, etc. I am sure that this is common elsewhere, but the low cost of living in Texas and the "everything is bigger in Texas" attitude makes us the SUV capital of the world, I would think.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'll take Arkansas some of the best roads there is. Plenty of 50° days throughout the winter.

The downside to Texas is that you have to go to Texas.:D

Heres one of my favorite Arkansas roads.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Texas is great for riding

I can't argue with your thoughts on Texas, Shaunlee, and I agree that Arkansas and Oklahoma are both great places to ride.

·
Banned
243 Posts
There's another saying here in Austin that I love. "The only thing wrong with Austin is it's surrounded by Texas!"

I'll take Arkansas some of the best roads there is. Plenty of 50° days throughout the winter.

The downside to Texas is that you have to go to Texas.:D

Heres one of my favorite Arkansas roads.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recall that some time back that a Motorcyclist magazine survey decided that the San Francisco bay area was the best place for bikes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts