Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading Max Brooks “Zombie Survival Guide” and I am thinking of adding a motorcycle to my defense strategy. Brooks says that “the motorcycle is “definitely the best choice for fleeing an infested area” and also “When compared to other motorists attempting to escape a zombie outbreak, dirt-bike riders have a 23-to-1 survival rate. Sadly,31 percent of motorcycle fatalities come from ordinary accidents.Reckless and/or arrogant riders could find themselves killed just as easily by a crash as by the jaws of walking dead.” - pg 103

I feel a little vulnerable on a dirt bike without lights so thats out. What if I am stuck out at night? My parents live about 20 miles away in a rural area and I might need to check on them once in a while. From what I understand, the zombies generally stay away from empty rural areas. But I have to pass through a couple of small towns. A Scrambler might make some sense because it could get around a small group of undead by cutting through a field or dashing up a farm road. But I might need more range I case I have to take a long detour. Also I think a kick starter would be handy just in case. Don't want to have to flee on foot! A late 90's Tiger would have a bigger gas tank and perhaps more overall capability. Then there is the street triple which would have blinding acceleration and great get away speed. Oh, and it goes without saying that whatever I get should be able to mount luggage and a ideally a shotgun holster.

What is everyone else doing? Any recommendations on what motorcycle to flee from Zombies on?

·
30,296 Posts
Well, you see I sorted myself out properly by following the advice of the Civilian Brewing Division:

And I went and immunized myself with a fine Lefse beer.

However, this is an important topic, and not to be taken lightly, so proper consideration is important. I would think off road is an important feature, and durable.

Some enduro style thingy - a Triumph tiger perhaps?

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
The Ural sidecar rig with the machine gun mount comes to mind...

Unless Zombies have a sense of humor, in which case you could kill them with this:

·
Registered
9 Posts

THIS ONE
Or a rocket III so you can torque your way through the biggest gathering of the undead.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I'd be partial to one of these anti-tank guns mounted on a Vespa thingamajiggers. But only if I could maintain forward momentum and only if the forward momentum was faster than a slow-moving zombie and only if I could reload faster than say one shot per minute. On second thought, where's that orange fur covered thingamajigger?

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
One of these. I`d like to see them try and bite me through this. :D

I collect Zombie and Post Apocalyptic books (mostly for a laugh) I`d like to get hold of that max brooks one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Absolutely an enduro bike is needed to flee such an attack. It has been an extremely effective getaway machine in many of my warped dreams. Speed, headlight, proper toolkit and the ability to pull up the front wheel at any moment are critical attributes.

Cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Muhahahahahahahaha

by far the simplest solution is to use a Bonneville...

as the zombies approach, speed towards them and dismount the bike... they will stop, stare at the Bonneville, completely mesmerized by the retro style, and become enamoured by the nostalgia and then you make your get away.... casually walking away as they are now fixated on Triumph's greatest idea...and simply ignore you.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I said flee from zombies. Flee, as in run. I was thinking KLR too MAC. I like the URAL suggestion because it lets me carry more, however on page 115 it says

C. Use Freeways
If the outbreak has moved from active battle to full infestation, the
safest route will be by freeway. Since the 1950s, freeways have been
built through every large and medium-sized city in the United States.
Their layouts are generally straight, decreasing travel time. Long sec-
tions are lined with tall fences or are suspended above ground, which
makes it almost impossible for ghouls to reach you. If they do find an
on-ramp or breach the fences, you will still have the speed to either
ride away (on your bike or motorcycle) or simply mn. Four-wheeled
vehicles are, again, not an option, as every freeway will undoubtedly
be jammed by static vehicles.
Many will contain zombies-bitten
humans who attempted to flee the city, succumbed to their wounds,
and reanimated while still belted into their seats.

Therefore I think a sidecar is out as I will have to be doing a lot of high speed lane splitting.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Really, the only Zombies we have around here are the ex-financial marketing people who have been canned. They all walk around mumbling things like, "LBO! REIT's! Subprime!" and will eat your brains out if they think you may qualify for a variable interest 35 yr mortgage. I find that just throwing a dollar bill in front of them will keep 'em occupied while I speed off on the (fully paid for) Sprint!

Oh, and my 401K has dropped to a 104K :(

Derswede

·
30,296 Posts
I changed my mind, I reckon the KLR 650 is the way to go - lightweight and plenty quick. That's the ticket. I'm sure it would be possible to attach two forward firing machine guns to try and clear a path when really necessary, but standing your ground is a bad move, they can get around you.

Steer clear of cities if a full break out occurrs.

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
Forget the machine guns on a dual sport; the ammo would weigh too much and take up too much space. "Spray and pray" is movie #$^% when it comes to fighting zombies.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good advice here. you guys know what you are talking about. I feel I need a kickstarter as a backup. I don't think the KLR650 has a kickstart. May have to go to a smaller displacement,maybe KLR250? I dont even know if that bike is currently made.

I'm thinking about it some more and top speed is nice but really just need 40-50 mph most times to get away.When we were kids we used to outrun the farmers with 125's .

·
30,296 Posts
Good point Sal,

I think there are dual purpose 250's out there - probably best to ditch the guns as Hide says. They're little use. Keep moving. You want good range though.

I think I would stick with a bigger bike for the extra carrying capacity - need to lug some survival gear if possible, and modern starters are pretty reliable. Looking on the KLR650 forum I haven't noticed anyone complain about starting.

Perhaps we should also figure out what survival gear should be stowed on the bike in readiness?

·
Banned
277 Posts
HD, you should know that the beer, much like the aforementioned m.g. ammo, would be too heavy to carry. I would think that some high quality bourbon, such as Knob Creek, would be much easier to carry, and also has the added benefit of being a fire starter.

And I'd like to put in a vote for my bike, Yamaha WR 450, lights, kickstart, 90 mph, fully off-road capable. Now I just need to mount a 12 ga. autoloader on the bars.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts