Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been looking around and reading up on the more common modifications that people do to their bikes. It has definitely piqued my interest. But, I have a question about which mod is "best".

I know that it's probably a case of various mods combined that come together to make awesomeness happen. However, I can probably only afford one upgrade this summer, and I'd like an idea of where to start. To use the ol' cliché: how do I get the most bang for the buck?

Oh, I have a stock '08 t100. That's probably useful information. I'm also a newer rider, but I'm interested in quality performance.

Thanks in advance,
Russell

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
A bit hard to say which would be the "best" mod but you've qualified your criteria with a price range so that helps.

I've done a few things to the old girl and I think of them this way (in descending order of performance improvement):

Cheap Mods (<$100)
- 18T front sprocket (no more searching for 6th)
- low(er) bars (far better control, boy-racer feel)
- wind screen (no wind on the chest anymore)
- snorkle removal (a bit more sound for nothing)
- bafflectomy (a bit more sound for something)

Not Cheap Mods (>$100)
- real pipes (lots o' sound for lots o' bucks!)
- real suspension (rear first so it saves my arse & back)

That's my POV anyway.

Air Box removal probably also fits into the "Not Cheap Mods" group because even if you do it yourself, it goes along with new pipes. I don't think I'm going to remove the air box mainly because I'm already running 125 jets with Dominator pipes and don't love the idea of even lower mpg.

You can definitely do lots of other "Not Cheap Mods" like carbs and big bore but now you're into some real $$$.

Hope this helps a bit. Not a recommendation, just a way of thinking about things.

P

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Suspension.
I agree:

and compared with my sprint the suspension upgrades are dirt cheap.

I went with Ikon shocks for the rear and progressive fork springs and heavier weight oil for the front forks. Less than 400 Canadian dollars.

It's like riding a different bike - more planted, better feel, more confidence inspiring. It makes the bonnie feel a lot more expensive! :cool: You can also use more (all!) of the power in the corners.:D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
inexpensive mods

Actually as you can see above, there are quite a few mods that you can do for little or no money. Just poke around the website and use the search and you'll find plenty. (bob rear fender, paint "triumph" on seat, shorten turn signals, bafflectomy are a few no cost mods
Spend an afternoon or two deep cleaning your bike, you know, q tips and a magnifying glass....lol....crawl underneath, there is always gunk in there, that and inside the fenders and around the swingarm. Pull your chain guard and sprocket cover, plenty of gunk in there.
If you want one expensive mod, rear suspension would be the first one I'd go for, it will make the ride a lot better.

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Front springs, not expensive, plenty of bang for the buck, and gives you an opportunity to do a bit of wrenching. Put in fresh oil, and a pair of gaiters if you like, while you have it apart.

Rear suspension: More expensive, much less work.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree:

and compared with my sprint the suspension upgrades are dirt cheap.

I went with Ikon shocks for the rear and progressive fork springs and heavier weight oil for the front forks. Less than 400 Canadian dollars.

It's like riding a different bike - more planted, better feel, more confidence inspiring. It makes the bonnie feel a lot more expensive! :cool: You can also use more (all!) of the power in the corners.:D

I'm about to fit the Ikons. What setting do you use (I'm wondering if there's a good mid setting to start with before finding something that suits...):confused:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Spend some time adjusting and changing the setup of the handlebars, levers, footpegs, etc. make your bike fit you.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Lights and horn

For me the horn and headlight were too weak. Install PIAA 130 watt head lamp, and a 134 dB horn. I placed the horn in the space vacated by my airbox, having removed it and installed a airbox removal kit. The horn is so loud, dogs cower when I blast it.

Hope this helps

Hoopla

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
Another option for the horn is under the tank where the AI valve used to be, if you've removed it. There are two threaded holes there that can be used for the mounting bracket, you can even use one of the screws that were there. You might have to fabricate a bracket or do some creative bending, depending on which horn you put there.

Note that this will fit the stock horn or a slightly larger one such as the NewBonneville horn. It's hard to get a larger one in there. The wiring will reach there without modification.

This is a no-cost to low-cost improvement.

·
Registered
151 Posts
muffler mods,(baffelectomy is the cheapest), toss the airbox snorkle and baffle plate, and install a dynojet kit. while not a big increase in horsepower, for me it was a big improvement in throttle responce for mostly just some time working in the garage.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you're a scrambler rider I'd say toss the death wings & put on metzler tourance's first. I'd say that my best & safest mod so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
pipes

I've heard from more experienced riders "loud pipes save lives"...

my 1st mod was louder, throaty exhaust. I loved the change it made. If you can afford it, I recommend it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with Redlands.
For my money it had to be louder pipes and lose the AI.
After that I got rid of the stock air box.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've heard from more experienced riders "loud pipes save lives"...

my 1st mod was louder, throaty exhaust. I loved the change it made. If you can afford it, I recommend it
I agree with louder pipes...because they sound cool. I'm going to call B.S. on the saving lives part though until someone proves it to me. I told my wife that I drink beer because its good for the heart. She called B.S. on that too.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I agree with louder pipes...because they sound cool. I'm going to call B.S. on the saving lives part though until someone proves it to me. I told my wife that I drink beer because its good for the heart. She called B.S. on that too.
I can't "prove it", but it has been my experience that if your bike makes some noise in traffic, Madam Cellphone and friends may actually notice you and not try to make you one with their Suburban. You don't have to be very loud to accomplish this. On my KLR simply cutting into the airbox made the bike noticeably louder when you were into the throttle, which made a world of difference to those drivers without peripheral vision.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
"Best Mod".....let's see, I think I would define the best mod I have done by the one I would remove last if I had to remove em. That would be the Parabellum Scout fairing, no question. Second to that would be the Race Tech emulators in the front forks. After that I would I would be down to the NARK, rev limiter, rear shocks, etc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts