Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read lots about getting 4k to 5k out of a set of tyres, but I must be doing something wrong (or maybe I am doing it right).

I have the original Anakees fitted to my 07 955i. I have now done 7,300 miles and there is still 3mm of tread on both tyres.

At this rate they will last maybe another 2,000 miles which means getting on for 10k miles. It this a record?

Is anybody else getting good mileage, if so what have you achieved?

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
I could pull 18.000 km out of my Michelin Pilot 2 tires on my 1050.
I drive every day, all conditions (including icy roads). Ok I have 70% of highway but I still have a sporty drive style. I am really happy of these Michelin's. (did 8.000 km per tire set on my previous Honda Fireblade)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I could pull 18.000 km out of my Michelin Pilot 2 tires on my 1050.
I drive every day, all conditions (including icy roads). Ok I have 70% of highway but I still have a sporty drive style. I am really happy of these Michelin's. (did 8.000 km per tire set on my previous Honda Fireblade)
Wow! I thought I was doing well...955i, front Avon Distanzia with 9,000 miles+ and plenty of tread left....BUT the tyre has 'gone off' somewhat and when pushed, the front is sliding more and more. This is not a noice feeling and I will be replacing it with an Anakee2 to match the rear in a few days.

I was amazed simply because 9,000 miles is more than I've ever had out of any tyre on any bike ever (I've been riding since 1983).

But 18,000km with more to go? That IS impressive!

Jon

·
Registered
704 Posts
I got a new rear the first time at about 7000 mi and both new tires at the 12k service around 13k miles. I got Tourances on the new set. I think they will last longer than the Annakees. The rubber is thicker and seems to be a slightly harder compound. I'm hoping for at least 10k on the rear and 20k for the front! I ride to work almost daily so they'll get squared off first.

Block

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Having tread left doesn't mean the tyre is still good. If it's anything like mine, they're all out of shape and don't handle as well.

That being said, and I CAN prove it. I got 24,500km out of my original Anakees, admittedly, this was mostly commuting, with the occasional off road sortee. I have currently 36,000km on the bike, so I have 11,500km on the current Tourances, which I personally don't like as much as the Anakees.

Oh, 24,500km is 15,2235.5942 miles.....:D

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Having tread left doesn't mean the tyre is still good. If it's anything like mine, they're all out of shape and don't handle as well.
Too right!

My front looks quite innocent but feels bad. It can't help that it does not match the rear anyway so any de-profiling as it's worn will have had even more of an effect. I'll be taking it easy on the twisties until it's replaced.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am now up to 8,400 miles and still legal.

I have to admit they are white lining a bit now, but as I don't do any extreme riding I can live with it.

I'm hoping to get some touring in around the end of the summer so I will have to change them by then if not before.

I'm expecting to get at least another 1,000 miles from them which brings them close to 10,000 miles.

Chris

·
Registered
724 Posts
The Azaro`s have about 7k on them now, fronts looking good, rear seriously squared off but still legal, need to find some big fast roundabouts to get the profile back;)
Looking to replace rear soon with Storm ST.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The first set of original tires, the Michilin Pilots the bike came with, were worn in the middle and made the bike handle poorly, were taken off and replaced with around 8000 miles on them. I replaced with Dunlop Roadsmarts and I liked them very much. I just finished a 5120 mile journey and the Dunlops have a squared off center section in the rear, and also in the front, but less so than the rear. Still feels stable and handles well, plenty of tread on the sides, but I don't like the wear of the rear with the flat strip in the center. I had a heavy load on for all those miles as I was touring. I can't afford a new set of tires after every trip. Sounds like others don't get much more mileage out of a set of tires and everyone changes them when the bike starts to handle poorly.

·
Registered
896 Posts
hard starts

I get about 5k from the Std sport tire, Pilot Avon/Attacks over the last 5 years on an 03 ST and now my 06 Tiger..

Why?

I weigh 240+-

I usually have all three bags on the bike, including the 25# toolkit etc.

I live in a rural area where being in top gear lopping along doesn;t happen much.

That damn throttle!!

Conti's website has a great writeup on what kills most sport bike tires. They state that the hard starts we liter bike guys put our tires through, so easily overcomes the traction capabilities of our tires, thatwe end up tearing to many molecules of rubber off the tire. That 100 hp only has a 2-3" x ,4-5" patch of road to grab and something has to give. You 150 #'ers don;t have as much of an issue with less weight pushing down.

I currently have a set of Tourances mounted... they went on at almost exactly 10k and at 14.7k on them I can predict about 7k on the rear... strangley it looks like the front will also be rady at the same time, where normally they last a bit longer... however most of that 4.7k on the current set is with a FULL load

1 - 11 of 11 Posts