Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking for a bluetooth unit that puts out great sound. I don't care about COMS, I just want great sound. I was thinking about the Freecom 1 because of it's price, but people say the sound isn't that great. Even if I have to buy a unit with coms to get GOOD sound, I'd be ok with that. Any advice is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Hey all,

I'm looking for a bluetooth unit that puts out great sound. I don't care about COMS, I just want great sound. I was thinking about the Freecom 1 because of it's price, but people say the sound isn't that great. Even if I have to buy a unit with coms to get GOOD sound, I'd be ok with that. Any advice is appreciated!
I have a Sena 20s, great sound.

Check this out:
https://youtu.be/st-UTq6LvYo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Sena 20s, great sound.

Check this out:
https://youtu.be/st-UTq6LvYo

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It looks like the Sena 30 is out and the reviews aren't good. That's unfortunate. I don't know why all these coms devices have so many issues. You'd think bluetooth connectivity to a phone and decent audio would be pretty easy to pull off.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm using a 30k and it's fine. I did see a review and they were getting popping when connected via bluetooth, but Sena released an update and that seemed to fix it.

Either way, I'm happy with it, but I don't expect great audio at 70 mph either.

Reactions: Rip Van Finkle

·
Registered
36 Posts
im not sure if this is unique to sena but they always include adjustable inserts so that your ears can make better contact, which is good. i still think the quality of my 20s is nowhere near the same quality as just using the earbuds that came with my s8, but if you need bluetooth that of course wont work :/

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got the Sena 10R and upgraded to the UClear Pulse 40mm speakers (and the necessary 3.5mm to sena connector). Great sound- previously, without the speaker upgrade, I ran it at 100% volume (with ear plugs in) a lot of the time - no bass response with the stock Sena speakers; with the UClear drivers, I run it at a lower setting and get good sound fidelity through the range, though not as crisp as earbuds, for example. I like the ability to blue-tooth to my iPhone with the Sena unit. I don't do any coms.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really just want music and possibly turn by turn directions. At this point the I might get some cheap ear buds and call it good. That way I can find out what my real needs are....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been using a Sena 20s for two years now and it's been quite solid. Audio is alright to me (but then again I am a bit of an audiophile). They're plenty loud if you aren't using earplugs. Decently loud when using silicone earplugs (i've been using nonoise 30 NRR earplugs to cut out high frequency sound from the wind) and a bit hard to hear when using full foam earplugs. Having comms and ability to have audio controls at the side of your head is great. There's also a button to let you hear what's going on outside of your helmet (small microphone on the unit itself). I've been planning on upgrading the speakers on the unit to perhaps drivers from ATH M50 headphones as that is a common mod. Imo, best bet would be those silicone earplugs with speakers built into them, although they can tend to fall out when putting on the helmet if your helmet is indeed full face and proper fitting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I prefer earbuds, mainly because I don't like the look of bluetooth comms systems attached to your helmet. My goto earbuds were Jaybird Freedom wireless bluetooth earbuds. It was nice not having wires dangling around, and they also passively helped reduce wind noise on the freeway. However, I could never get them to fit right, which was a bit distracting. I recently tried out my Bose QuietComfort noise cancelling earbuds, and wow, wish I had used them sooner. They fit comfortably and didn't move around during my ride, and the noise cancelling totally killed the wind noise on the freeway. I could easily hear the directions regardless of my speed, and they also still let me hear the world around me, albeit really muted, so it still felt safe riding. Having to deal with the wires and the battery is an easy tradeoff for me versus having a helmet system.

For reference, my helmets are super loud (Biltwell Gringo and Lane Splitter), and I only use earbuds for directions. These are expensive earbuds, but I just wanted to share my experience and thoughts to the ol' earbuds or Sena discussion. Thanks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up getting the Packtalk Bold. I love everything about it But my phone has to be close to the unit to maintain a Bluetooth signal. I put my phone in my chest pocket and it solves the problem. Still kind of a pain.... Meanwhile I can stream music from my phone to other household devices 30 feet away through walls.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Curious if anyone uses sound isolation ear plugs that allow sound in along with speakers that are in the ear pockets in your helmet?

·
Registered
382 Posts
All Sena units have pretty weak sound with literally no bass whatsoever. The best values will be either the Cardo Freecom 4 which comes with JBL branded speakers like the PackTalk but is a lot cheaper or the UCLEAR Motion 6. I use the UCLEAR myself and it blows the Sena 20S it replaced out of the water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have got the Boss MC470 installed by a technician. So far I have been to get only 2 speakers installed on the handle bar. This is because no space for the other two. I have ordered an engine safety bar and when it arrives the plan is to install the other 2 speakers on it.
The sound with even the two speakers is fairly loud enough even at almost half volume even at speeds of 100 kms. I was also wearing a full face helmet. In the urban areas as I had to slow down I had to reduce the volume. The tech installed the amp in the centre behind the windshield protected by it. Yes if it rains it will get damaged so I have find a way to cover it during the rain. I do not ride in the rain at all.
At this moment in time I am happy with it but it has been only a day since I got it installed. The sound quality is obviously not like an earphone or headphones but to listen to music on the road is good enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts