Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Probably best bang for the buck, regearing, front sprocket. Relaxes the bike so much. Regardless of what the dealer tells you, anyone can work on your bike as long as it's done properly. If you do something wrong and screw it up, they do not have to fix that particular item under warranty.

·
Registered
222 Posts
They are really easy bikes to work on. Just make sure you allow time to work on it so you don't feel rushed and screw something up. I am fortunate that the guy I work with used to make a living working on bikes in a Honda shop (works IT now). He has all the tools plus a love for wrenching and for a 6 pack of beer he'll do about anything on a bike.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Placing a couple of shims under each needle and fine tuning your idle mixture is nearly free (assuming that you donate your own time). It doesn't really deliver big horsepower, but it'll make your bike run better.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Actual HP gains:

#1 New pipes will gain between 5 and 12 HP depending on what kind/style you get, and how much you want to spend. They can range between $350 to $900. You can save yourself some cash and buy used pipes from e-bay or from the classifieds here. That will leave you more cash to send to our vendors....and you will be sending cash (or check, credit card, or PayPal) to them....

#2 Airbox removal (not to be confused with Air Injection removal). These run between $250 to $320 and can get you another 5 ponies (I'm guessing) on the mid and upper end of the power band. A lot of people have done it and like it. If you don't mind cutting up your airbox, you can buy the pod filters yourself and save $150 to $200.

#3 Big Bore kit - Since you already have the 865cc engine, you won't gain as much as the 790cc's for the same amount of money spent. But, it will get you more power. However, this will obviously void your warranty on the engine. Besides, if you are doing all of this to your brand new bike...you may have purchased the wrong bike for what you want to do.

The most common HP mods that are very simple to do are: new pipes, rejet and shims, a new front spocket for some (the 790's come with a 17t, but this will not increase HP), a UNI or K&N replacement filter, and pulling the snorkel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts