Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a replacement Backpack and am considering the Kriega 25 (reviewed in RAT) & 35. The 25 was also tested in RIDE and rated highly.

What do all of you'ts guys use, favorites, size (is there a too big?) and don't bother with...?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Whether cycling or motor cycling, I always prefer to have my load on the bike rather than the back. I just prefer to be unencumbered and also feel that if I do hit the deck, it's better not to land on a backpack with various,possibly hard, objects inside. However, I do agree that there are times when it's necessary, such as when mountain biking.
I'd have thought that the Tiger was one of the better bikes to carry gear on, so why use a backpack? How about a tankbag or tailpack that doubles as a rucsack?

You'll have gathered that I can't recommend a backpack! However, I do agree that the Kriegas look pretty good, and wish you well in your quest. Keep us posted; maybe I'll be persuaded!
:)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I agree with dusty here but admit for very short journeys a small rucksack is easier and quicker to just sling over your shoulders.
Kriega is a good choice.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a top box on my bike which is the handiest thing to have, in my opinion. The panniers rarely see the light of day, but thats mainly because I have to take them off to fit the bike through the gate.
The Kriega bumbags and backpacks are the business, though. You would'nt be disappointed with it, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Tigertales,
I love the luggage capacity of the Tiger for road trips, but I've been spending the majority of my ride time commuting. Rather than ding up the side bags, I'm now riding with one of these: http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16140&cat=279&page=1

(not the hi-vis, mind you)

A great piece of kit, well made and will last a good, long time.

cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
518 Posts
Check ou the Bikersfriend saddlebag, it comes in four different sizes. If you do not already have something on the back of the bike this is great because it has a backrest as well.

http://bikersfriend.com/index.html

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions...like Skidpan, I have the 3 pieces of back luggage but 95% of the time only use the Triumph topbox.

I am finding my self commuting more than I thought thus the reason to get a bike specific backpack rather than the Timberline daypack I have.

I find I keep a lot of xtra stuff in the topbox (wax kit, tools, etc) that I don't really need and want to try the backpack thing for shorter rides. I suppose the logical (smart?) thing to do is take the stuff out of the topbox, so part of this is backpack-search-thing is to force some space discipline and travel light.

I like the Alpinestars stuff, just don't know if they are selling a fashion pack with their name or if is motorcycle design specific.

·
Registered
704 Posts
How about the two tail bags offered by Touratech? Has
anybody check the fit out on them? Triumph doesn't even
make on to just fit the tail rack.

Block

·
Registered
190 Posts
Using a dodgy rucsac on a bike can be dangerous! Apart from straps flapping in the wind they constantly move around on your back and have to be packed properly if carrying any weight. If you do get one go to a camping shop, get chest and waist straps for stability and try it on! Book a few sessions with a masseuse.

Since getting a Tiger i've binned my old rucsac, but i still go for a massage... :razz:

·
Registered
518 Posts
On 2006-11-24 11:13, tigertales wrote:
OKCTriple...I like the round Classic pack. Any idea how secure the attachment is to a rack only?
I really don't know, I happened along this site while in search of something else. If you look at all the different applications it looks like it has many different methods of attachment. I would look into the site a bit more and see what you can find out. If nothing, give them a call or email them. I see myself getting one to put behind me between me and the trunk for extra capacity and the back support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts