Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this has been covered before, but does anyone have an amazing experience with any alarmed disk brake lock? I always lock the stem and place a Krypto NY chain on the bike, but I always want more. I think having a disk lock with an audible alarm would be a nice additional deterrent, but from what I hear many people have problems with them. These problems include false positives (alarm going off for no reason) or false negatives (the alarm not going off when it should).

Anyone have an alarmed lock they absolutely love?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am not sure if this has been covered before, but does anyone have an amazing experience with any alarmed disk brake lock? I always lock the stem and place a Krypto NY chain on the bike, but I always want more. I think having a disk lock with an audible alarm would be a nice additional deterrent, but from what I hear many people have problems with them. These problems include false positives (alarm going off for no reason) or false negatives (the alarm not going off when it should).

I pay my insurance on time secure in the knowledge they'll buy me a new bike...

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would say any loud alarm lock is only going to be a deterrent for people to sit on your bike or move it.
it is just a slight delay tactic.... if they really want to steal your bike, they will....

I have a chunky eBAY china made disc lock that makes a high piercing noise when moved. it will attract attention in crowed street if someone moves the bike, but if I were to park in a dark alley, I would use a chain onto a pole or something. just another layer.

I also have full coverage insurance too

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler
246 Posts
I have a Xena XX15. It only fits on the front but I also use an ABUS chain as well. If I had bought them at the same time I would have probably gone with ABUS for both as you can pay to get the same key for both systems (chain and disk) which would save me from having to carry two keys. I also bought a Monimoto tracker system. Easy to install and set up, but requires one more keyfob to keep with you when you ride. The nice thing about the Monimoto is it is self contained (change a battery once a year) and the only subscription cost is the SIM card. I think I pay like 30GBP a year for it (it actually might be 10). But it's practically nothing. It alerts you if the bike moves location without the keyfob being nearby.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ive got an Oxford Alpha XA10. Its bright, you can't miss it.. a lock only keeps an honest person out however the alarm is pretty piercingly loud so hopefully thats enough of a deterrent.
I am well insured so it wouldn't be the end of the world but I love the bike and don't want it stolen haha

·
Registered
28 Posts
If someone truly wants to steel something, they will. But I would estimate that 99% of thieves are lazy and opportunistic. Anything you put on your bike to make the theft more work will most likely send a thief down the road for something else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive got an Oxford Alpha XA10. Its bright, you can't miss it.. a lock only keeps an honest person out however the alarm is pretty piercingly loud so hopefully thats enough of a deterrent.
I am well insured so it wouldn't be the end of the world but I love the bike and don't want it stolen haha
Thanks! I will look into it. I keep the bike in a semi-attended garage and I just want an attention grabber.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How sensitive is it? If a car parks next to me with an exhaust, is it likely to go off or does the bike have to actually move?

·
Registered
14 Posts
How sensitive is it? If a car parks next to me with an exhaust, is it likely to go off or does the bike have to actually move?

I park in my place of employment in their carpark next to about 10 other bikes and about 50 cars and I've not heard mine go off around loud exhausts but it is sensitive enough that when it's touched or moved it will send off a warning beep before bursting your ear drums.
Unless it's a V8 transplanted bike with a straight pipe off the headers, you'll be fine. The v8 bike would rumble nearly any alarm/kidneys I think haha

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
84 Posts
Do disk lock alarms go off with loud noises? I thought that was only in cars where the security system has microphones inside to pick up the noise of breaking windows.

I have a Xena alarm disk lock. It's stainless steel, which is an advantage over alloy which can be brittle and shatter when hit between two hammers.
The alarm is said to be 120 or 130 dB but it also depends on a thief being scared off by it in a city where people have learned to ignore car alarms anyway.

The alarm came with a cable that can be looped around the bike and the disk lock joins the ends rather than go into the brake disk. The cable is very heavy and I gave up taking it with me fairly early.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think they have a microphone however if the noise is loud enough to vibrate/shake the alarm, it could go off

·
Registered
22 Posts

Used the Oxford Big Boss alarm lock for a few years. Never had an issue with false alarms, big 16mm shackle and loud alarm help give peace of mind when parked up outside work in area known for large amount of bike thefts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts