Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have one bent pushrod on a '70 Trophy. I don't know the age of the pushrods and considered replacing all of them just to be thorough. But at $17 a piece, is this a good idea or am I just wasteing money?

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bent one of my exhaust pushrods and elected to replace the whole set so as to not have the problem reoccur on the others, I believe if you only replace one you will have problems later,

·
Registered
594 Posts
I use pushrods from a bin of used ones all the time. As long as they roll straight they should be fine. The most common way to bend a pushrod is when they are dislocated, I cannot imagine one bending during normal use. (racing motors with stronger valve springs and high lift cams drag racing etc not included) What I would be concerned with is how did it get bent? Loose tappet adjustment? Float a valve? Valve stuck?
-Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bent pushrod was discovered by accident. I wasn't having any real problems but was in there for some maintenance and saw it. I pulled the valve components apart to inspect everything and things seem fine. One inner spring may be "weaker" than the others but it's barely noticeable and I've never done any of this so I have no experience to know better. At this point I'm blaming poor valve adjustment due to lack of other evidence. And can I get "graphited oil" for the valve stems at a regular auto store?

Also, took the advice of the local 75 year old Triumph guru and just replaced the pushrod from his mountain of used ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts