Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a close encounter with a tire in a chicane on a track in a hairpin turn. Luckily although I went wide the bike stayed upright and there wasn't any significant damage to the bike...except this.

I bent the pedal, I am confident that I can bend it back into place and be done with it, but I can't figure out how to remove it. I think it is pretty simple; there seems to be a 7mm hex socket on the other side of the pedal but I think I would have to disconnect the link the the gear change axel and, although I am fairly good with a wrench, I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
8,438 Posts
You'll want to be very careful bending it back; those things are very fragile and break very easily. If you want to give it a shot without removing it, just slip a box wrench over it and exert very steady, even pressure until it's close to straight. That method worked for me when I bent the brake pedal on my previous bike. Whatever you do, don't try to straighten a bent peg; it'll snap right off.

If you get it close, remember the worst enemy of good is better.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Here's mine three months ago after my first lowside (hopefully my last):

I managed to bend it back straight-ish and limped home where I pulled it off and wrapped a rag around it. I used a hammer and 8" vise to get it as straight as I could, but there was no hope of getting it to look as good as new. Plus, where it bent there are small cracks. It may or may not survive another crash, so I replaced it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vancouver rider! Woot!

The part I am struggling with is actually getting it off the bike. I see that some clips needs to be taken out from the linkage but the bolt that is holding it in place seems to be really tight. I've only been attacking it with an hex keep though so it could be a matter of getting something with a little more leverage to get it out.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Are you talking about the gear rod? The ball ends need to come out straight. Any sort of angle makes it very difficult to remove. Try popping off the front one first to get some slack for the rear one. You shouldn't need a tool to take them off.
Also, double check the rod for straightness. Mine was bent a little after the crash.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm not sure what year your bike is, but according to the Haynes manual I have it should be pretty straight forward. The basic steps are:

1) remove the heel guard
2) release the clip holding the lever to the rod
3) pry the rod off the lever
4) unscrew the foot rest bracket bolts

I can send the pix if you need. I bent mine at the track this spring, and used a box wrench to bend it back. I had completely forgotten about it until your post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Didn't realize how simple it was to fix. I am going to order a replacement for it but just wanted to get it in serviceable condition in the mean time. I'll probably put it on before I go to track days and just keep the new one in a tank bag if I need it to get home.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here's mine three months ago after my first lowside (hopefully my last):

I managed to bend it back straight-ish and limped home where I pulled it off and wrapped a rag around it. I used a hammer and 8" vise to get it as straight as I could, but there was no hope of getting it to look as good as new. Plus, where it bent there are small cracks. It may or may not survive another crash, so I replaced it.
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/2-West/media/DSC_0870_zps7acbd450.jpg.html
Damn, West...I can't believe you got that straightened without it snapping :eek::thumbsup Doesn't take much to fatigue aluminum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it is not bent too badly, you can place the piece in boiling water for a while to heat it and then, vise and hammer of your choice to straighten a bit. Little at a time and multiple iterations. Used to do this with the Woodcraft rearsets I had on all of my track bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
21mm deep socket slipped over the shift nub with a 6" extension. It allows you to bend it back without slipping off or twisting at the wrong angle preventing over-stressing it and breaking it off. Works every time. Just did it the other day after a low side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts