Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after a bore to +40 and a wait during winter, I have finally installed my new pistons and gotten the cylinder into place.

However, when I tried to install the head gasket, it would not go on no matter how I wiggled it. I could get it down to the two smaller center studs with some finesse, but the holes were way off from those studs--the tops were covered about halfway by gasket.

Tried just putting the head on as well--no dice. It went down to the center studs and went no farther--just teetered on them.

So now my question. Assuming one or more of the studs is bent, should I bother trying to identify the bent ones (roll on glass?) and bend them back into place, or should i just get new studs? I'm just not sure if it might harm the head if I don't get them bent exactly as they should be.

Thanks, all!

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Depending on how badly the studs are sprung, I may be tempted to give them a couple light taps with a rubber mallet while they are still in place to allow the head to be fitted.

If the studs are sprung more than 1/4 the diameter of the stud than replacement might be a better chose.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, cylinder is definitely on as it should be. It seemed that the studs weren't off by too much, so I'll probably give the offenders a light whack this evening and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
It's probably best to loosen all the studs first ,so they're not screwed down hard (they should never be screwed down hard).Position them so you will hit them at a tangent to the bore,not radially.
A steel rule held against the head face makes a good enough square.Use the same edge to check each side.

The 3/8" studs are probably all fitted with the turned end facing up.Fit them all with that end down,but put a 1/4" ball into the 3/8" tapped hole first.Don't tighten the studs in hard ,about 1 or 2 ft-lb.Your head gasket and cylinder bore will love you for it.

Fit the same size washers to the 4 inner 3/8" studs as you have on the outer headbolts.This prevents the head crushing and the bolts constantly losing tension.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great trick, Mr. Pete--I take it that's to relieve pressure in the cylinder stud holes. I'll definitely give it a go. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Worked wonderfully. Rapped on two of the studs that were just a bit off, flipped them over and did the ball trick, and everything fell into place. Should have her back on the road this weekend.

Thanks, all.

Overandout -- I'm not sure what you're on about. Never heard of a Triumph Dufus. This barrel went on a Bonnie. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts