Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I laid my baby down monday night and bent both brake levers. This is actually the second time they've been bent (firs time i just dropped the bike) I want to try to straighten them out again, but am worried about metal fatuige. Thoughts anybody? Should I get the torch out and heat them up? Im laid off right now so I really dont want to buy new ones.

PS: I found out the passenger pegs make great sliders!!! But I need to get some more!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I heard a tip that you can put it into your oven then bend it back bit by bit, i just brought new ones ( ouch, foot brake costs loads)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Foot pedal bends back without too much trouble. Hand brake not so sure. I tried to bend back my clutch lever and it just snapped off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I straightened my foot brake lever using a hot air gun and a vice.
Just don't try to be too perfect on how straight it was.
just get it back to usable.

mine fractured on the last 1-2% of straightening.:mad:

the front brake not sure about.
Check out Kawasaki or other jap bikes that use the nissin radial master.
The lever should be the same.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
With all the Pazzos going on, maybe someone will give up their OEM's at a good price for you.
Good advice. When I fitted my Pazzos, I put S3 levers on my Thunderbird so I don`t have any spare. You can usually get generic (non adjustable) replacements pretty cheap, a mate just got one for his Speed Triple for $11 each, by matching them up. They are from a Kawasaki, I think.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bent the foot brake pedal, but have a new one.

Problem is that I cannot install it. I can't seem to loosen the lever itself, and I can't take the entire rearset off because I'm not strong enough to loosen those bolts. (or rather, I didn't want to break off the allen wrench I was using, but it was bending)

Do they have loctite on them or something? Is there some trick I'm not getting?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I removed the exhaust pipe, springs and master cylinder clip. It was then a simple twist of a socket wrench with allen key. Really easy. Try some liquid wrench.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Being cast in aluminium which is British English for aluminum you need to anneal the bent lever before bending it back into shape. Aluminium work hardens as it is deformed which is why levers sometimes snap when being pushed back into place. Rub a bit of soap on the offending article. Heat it up on a gas stove and when the soap turns black that's roughly the correct annealing temperature. Allow it to cool and then bend away.

·
Registered
235 Posts
MotoZiggy, what's up? You don't call anymore. You don't write. I do nothing but worry... It must be a girl.... lol

Hey did you get the parts? Everything fit?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Little late to reply to this old thread but i wanted to say thanks.
I was in the process of removing my lever and ran into a very difficult main bolt (bottom of brake lever, speedmaster) that felt it was ripping the threads as i turned it a few hard times. Came here and did a search and found others with this situation. Used a little wd-40 directly onto the threads and presto, came off well.

I proceeded with a rubber mallot, two-by-four and heat with cigarette lighter onto the area of the lever i artistically thought would bend the lever back to stock (previous owner had it bent in at the top for whatever reason).

Within a few minutes had it back on. I'm a once a year weekend mechanic if you've noticed.
:rolleyes:
Thanks again.
Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts