Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed if thier belt gets tighter when hot? I adjusted mine the other day and i checked it this morning because it usually changes a bit after adjustment and a short ride, and i found it was quite loose. Not so much i wouldn't ride it like that tho, so i went the 12 miles to work. Drove home just now and was ready to adjust it when i pulled in but i checked it again and it was tight ! I pushed the bike forward a foot or so several times trying to see if there is a loose spot but it was even all around and quite a bit tighter than this morning. This morning it was cold when i checked it and when i got home it was of course hot from the ride. Plus the outside temp ranged from mid 60's this morning to about 85 when i rode home. Do they tighten up in heat? i would think the opposite, tho if the pulleys expand more than the belt i guess it could. I'll check it tomorrow morning and see if it's loose again.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what i thought, but heres what scares me. If thats true, then consider this. Triumph says to set the tension when the bike is COLD, and thier spec leaves the belt VERY tight. If it's that tight when cold and it gets a lot tighter when hot, well...think about it !

I checked it again today when cold and again it was loose. I will check it again when i get home from work and it's hot. If again it's tight, then how the he|| are we supposed to adjust it correctly? I mean, it was extremely tight and when hot was like triumph says it should be when cold. So if you adjusted it tight like that when cold as they say, it would be insanely tight when hot. :dunno

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well kids, i'm tempted to start a new thread to warn everyone but i'll just state it here and hope the word gets out. I just check my belt after the ride home from work, and once again it has gone from very loose when cold to very tight after the ride home. Thats 2 days in a row so this is no fluke.

Triumph's tightness spec is such that if it were much tighter it would likely cause premature belt wear or failure, and very possibly damage the output shaft bearing in time. And from what i am seeing here, the difference in tension in the belt from cold to hot is huge. And triumph says to set it cold ! No wonder mine was replaced under warranty....it was set to triumph specs when cold, which means when hot it must have been stupid tight ! All they'd need to do is change thier procedure to say "adjust when hot" and there would be no issues.

All that said, i'm no expert on this so if i'm missing something please enlighten me. But i can't see what i could be missing.

I would like to talk to a triumph rep about this. I already know for a fact thier alignment procedure outlined in the manual is faulty, now it's looking like the tension procedure is too. Check your belt cold then hot !!! You could be running it far too tight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Could it be getting hot because it's too loose cold?i.e. moving / flapping slightly .
Thinking along the lines of how tyres get hot if the pressure is too low in them.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, what would be good is if some members here could test this and report back. Check your belt when cold then after a ride and let us know whether you noticed a difference.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Actually, what would be good is if some members here could test this and report back. Check your belt when cold then after a ride and let us know whether you noticed a difference.
Yesterday morning I swung by the dealership to have them check mine because i heard a funny noise from it the night before.
They adjusted it immediately while the bike was still warm. This mechanic talked to me and explained a good way to check the tension by twisting the belt and explained it should take some effort to get it sideways but it should get there.
I will perform his test tonight when I am down in the garage on the bike cold and report back the comparison between yesterday just after the adjustment and the cold (sitting all day)bike.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yesterday morning I swung by the dealership to have them check mine because i heard a funny noise from it the night before.
They adjusted it immediately while the bike was still warm. This mechanic talked to me and explained a good way to check the tension by twisting the belt and explained it should take some effort to get it sideways but it should get there.
I will perform his test tonight when I am down in the garage on the bike cold and report back the comparison between yesterday just after the adjustment and the cold (sitting all day)bike.
Just came up from the garage and checked the belt
It dosent seem to be any different cold than it was after they adjusted it on fri morning.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, this is a bit sobering. I found a page (link below) about harely belt adjustment and they suggest the belt be adjusted just as triumph says, around 1/4" movement with 10 Lbs of pressure. Thats very tight, and if it tightens as much more when hot as it does now with the belt loose, it would be scary tight. I would worry about the output shaft bearing.

I've already gone round and round with alignment, and now tension is going to have me wasting another god knows how many hours trying to get to the bottom of this. Heres a quote from the page...

With a high horsepower engine, it is better to have the belt a little tight rather than loose. A loose belt will break much more readily than a tight one. Most people do not tighten the belt to its proper tension. If you plan on "racing" or hot rodding your bike, invest in a Harley-Davidson BELT TENSION GAUGE (Part No. HD-35381).
It's so hard to get definitive answers today. I could see the adjustment spec they mention being ok, but only if the belt does NOT get tighter when hot.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdbeltdrive.htm

·
Registered
88 Posts
I checked mine cold (twist and up /down) went on 50 km ride mostly at high speed and found no real difference in tension. The pulley was slightly warm but no more than You would expect, Although it was a cool late afternoon.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmmm. Maybe it's the heat here. We've been around 100 for the last several days. But that said i aligned the wheel today and maybe just loosening things up helped, but it then seemed to stay close to the same after a ride. Not as much difference. At least i think not. I will have to keep and eye on it. But maybe something was funky and out of whack after i put the new tire on and reinstalled the wheel. Freakin' belts are definately tricky beasts. After 17k miles i'm still trying to figure things out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Daz.I was hopin I'd hear from ya via e mail,but I didn't.So here I am over here lookin for ya.lol Anyways.here's what I found today.

As I said,I would measure the belt's free play [cold],mark that spot,go out for a decent ride to heat the belt up good,and when I came back,[belt hot],find the marked spot on the belt and take another measurement at that same place.So here's what I found.

Cold: At the spot I told you about,the belt had almost two inches of up and down movement.Now I'm not pushin it up and down real hard,but enough to move it pretty good.

Hot: Again at the same marked spot on the belt and pusing it up and down as I did when it was cold, exactly half of that or 1 inch of up and down movement proving that it does contract when hot.

My belt is wearing excellent,no noise,no chirping,no shiny black on either side indicating rubbing on the pulley,and she has that little extra play or up and down movement in the slot in the lower belt guard.

Anyways,I hope I answered your question,and if the belt continues to be too loose and then too tight,and you adjusted it as I suggested,then the only explanation I can offer is,somethin is moving.What we gotta do it find that "WHAT" lol Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Dave, that makes me feel better. Although it still leave the burning question, if it doubles in tightness (and mine about doubles too) how in gods name can triumph recommend such a tight adjustment spec when cold since it will then get insanely tight when it heats up? I just cannot for the life of me understand that. Nor can i understand that no one has even noticed this and questioned it. By the way, yours sound like it's way too loose. Are you sure you want to run it like that? i mean, it may be fine like that then at 30k just snap. everything i've read seems to indicate you don't want it to be anywhere near that loose. Even harley spec thiers about the same as triumph and suggests if loose they will eventually break prematurely or be damaged in some way or another.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'M sure it's adjusted right Daz.I've had that rear wheel off so many times and played with that belt tension/adjustment so many times,I can do it my sleep.lol I believe I've solved the belt adjustment mystery and which side of the rear cog it's suppoed to run on.

As for it being too loose,should you pick up any debris that gets lodged in one of the belt's teeth and or in one of the cogs,you'll be god da**** glad you set that belt alittle on the loose side.Already been there and done that and what saved my a** was the fact that I did have it adjusted alittle on the loose side.

As for snapping the belt,you're more likely to snap it if it's too tight,not too loose,or if you're playing squirrel with it.I have a cousin that likes to pull burn outs with his Harley and it's cost him two belts so far for the favor.lol All the SM tells ya about belt wear is to inspect the teeth for cracks and the outer edges for fraying.If ya see either or,REPLACE IT.At almost 23,000 miles,my belt looks real good as I looked closely at it yesterday when I measured it.I don't know just how long one of these belts will last,but I'm shootin for as much mileage as I can possibly get out of it.And as long as I don't really beat on it and keep a close eye on it,I don't believe I'll have any problems.BUT!! I already have a brandy new belt hangin in my shop,JUST IN CASE. lol

Remember.this is the FIRST belt drive machine I have ever owned.So I'm still learning.The last five machines were all trouble free,maintenance free, shaft drive.And whether or not I ever own another belt drive remains to be seen.And besides,at my age,I may or may not be getting close to the end.lol and I don't mean drivin motorcycle either.lol Ya see! I'm gonna ship it a head.the only problem is,no one seems to have the correct fowarding address to ship it to.lol lol Dave!!!

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just going by what i read when i mentioned looser being more likely to damage or break the belt. I would think tighter too but thats not what i read. Anyways, i sure am puzzled by triumph's adjustment procedure. Makes zero sense knowing how much tighter they get when hot.
As for mileage, harley guys say they often go to 100k on a belt, and out pulleys have a new coating gates developed in conjunction with triumph for the Tbird which is said to last up to 5 times as long and also make belts last longer. So we should do 100k easily if thats all true. At the very least we should never have to replace out pulleys as long as we own the bikes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts