Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally ready to buy the belt drive from new Bonneville but there appears to be an over two month waiting time or more before delivery! Any other sources for this product or possibly a different manufacture of a belt drive system. I've been very satisfied with New Bonneville's product line but a 8 or 9 week delivery has given me pause.

[ This message was edited by: rumbler05 on 2007-01-31 16:14 ]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hey rumbler05, some very good posts on the belt conversion. I keep tossing the idea of doing that when it's time for new chain/sprockets.

Brent is very good, I'd give him a shout to see what the delay is about. I'm sure he is as good a QPD outlet as anyone. It's a good idea to get it from the horses mouth vs speculating before posting negatives. YMMV.

Cheers.
BobW

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get off the cross we need the wood !! I think if you read my statement I stated I have been very satisfied with his product line! I did talk to them and thats where I found out it would take 8 to 9 weeks to get the unit. My concern is ordering an item, waisting a couple of months and than possibly finding out it may be delayed or never come. Now if I was ordering a 40 foot yacht I guess I would be happy to wait a few months for it to be made.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Did read your post and I was interested in the same mod. The last line indicated you had been happy previously, but that the delay was changing that opinion and you were requesting other sources. Brent can defend himself and that is all I was referring to, contact them before posting the negative. As you've had that conversation, it (information given) may have been included in your assessment for those of us interested in your mod and the pros/cons involved.

Been accused before of doing the Lord's work, thanks, sometimes bad things need to happen to bad people.

Life is too short. If you took it for more than was intended, apologies extended, if not, time to go for a ride and relax.

Cheers.
BobW

·
Registered
182 Posts
What do you think you are gonna do when that belt wears out or breaks? Wait weeks I guess. What ya gonna do when the pullys wear out? On a road trip you can find a new chain a hell of a lot easier than some one off belt drive system. You guys are making a big mistake putting that custom drive on your bikes. Never had a problem with it, well the day you do you got big problems! Vegas :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ive read on other web sites that these belts last as long as chains and if replaced at the required interval you should not have any problems. If your the type of person that likes to do holeshots, the life of the belt is diminished.

Erwin

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I only thought you may slip and fall from such a high perch. I think almost every other manufacturer has gone to either belt drive or shaft drive . Triumph was marketing the nostalgic theme when they stayed with the chain drive . You would think with all the people riding bikes you would of heard of many belts failing. Not many magazine articles posting failures either! If triumph wants to stay competitive than belt drive,shaft drive and fuel injection will be on the menu. I think!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the input . Never had any gripe with New Bonneville. Have been very impressed with their growth and customer support when I bought parts from them. Just wanted to get it done and make it happen once the decision was made. I do the build-ups on the engine mods and drive train components for a model of special opps helicopter. Proud to support are troops and country.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I do the build-ups on the engine mods and drive train components for a model of special opps helicopter.
Ive done my share of work on a variety of corporate and military Sikorsky aircraft.

Erwin :hammer:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts