Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a suzuki TL 1000 with a clear clutch cover, never got to ask him where he got it. Any ideas.

Besides Triumph, where can I get a belly pan. and how do I know which gen motor I have ...

sorry new to triumph, spent last 4 years on a hayabusa.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Gen2 Motor

Main external difference is that the Gen2 motor (02-04) has the generator on the left hand end of the crank.

This means that you will have a round engine cover on the left hand side that will stick out further than the fairings. On an ST this means a cutout in the lower edge of the upper fairing, and in the upper edge of the lower fairing. (see picture)

For the RS, it means that the Gen2 bellypan has a cut out on the left, while the Gen1 doesn't. I've pinched a link to show a Gen2 LH side without bellypan

This is a link to the best I can find of the LHS of a Gen1 motor

Rexx

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Scoutsout Rexxy's is an ST - with a daytona motor.

RS's have the half fairing and are more of a (cosmetically) budget model compared to the ST - instruments, fairings, blinkers.

Mine has the only belly pan (that I am aware of) available for the RS (Triumph part).

and the pan itself.

The supporting brackets are very purpose built and make it easy to fit but I wouldn't pay the $500 that Triumph ask!!

The belly pans from the 99-01 and the Speed Triples are all interchangable but the hardware is very different. The main difference in the belly pan itself is the cutout as Rexxy said.

There are a few slip ons. The Triumph Carbon Can (TOR) is a good choice but there are Arrows, 2Bros and Staintune that do some excellet aftermarket pipes for the RS. The ST's aren't interchangable (except for the 04 RS model).

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I know, I was joking because he has a pic of my RS on the bottom. BTW, I don't believe my bellypan is from Triumph...I'll have a look when I get home.

RS's have the half fairing and are more of a (cosmetically) budget model compared to the ST - instruments, fairings, blinkers.

Mine has the only belly pan (that I am aware of) available for the RS (Triumph part).

and the pan itself.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Sorry Scoutsout, I missed you reference to your pic :)

Post some pics if it is not a genuine T bellypan. I hadn't been able to track an alternative down and I am sure that there would be a few here on the forum that would be interested in another (cheaper) choice. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking @ two brothers exhaust. And they don't make one for the rs. Seen a jardine on ebay. But would like everyones input first.

Thanks to everyone for the info. Is there a place I can get used parts off wrecked bikes.

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Sorry Scoutsout, I missed you reference to your pic :)

Post some pics if it is not a genuine T bellypan. I hadn't been able to track an alternative down and I am sure that there would be a few here on the forum that would be interested in another (cheaper) choice. :)
Stevo you didn't miss scoutsout's pic it was your own pic in his quote I deleted not his.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
belly pan

I am looking for belly pan and also any one know where I can get Triumph decals to put on my bike. I need them ASAP because it is getting painted by wednesday. thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK looked at my bellypan and I don't think it's made by triumph. There's a star symbol on it...sorry I don't know what company that is.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Take a closer shot of it Scoutsout.

beyondthebeast, tell us some details and we/someone may be able to give you some local knowledge. :) Dave will be on to you soon so do the introduction and sticky thing :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the Sprint forum beyondthebeast:)

As Stevo the Chef implied I will ask you as is the habit of myself and Don to please read our forum stickies.

We ask all new members to do this so don't panic!:D

Also would you care to introduce yourself to us?

Enjoy the forum
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
two brothers doesnt make a FULL exhaust but they do make a slip on. not sure of the part number but i have it on mine and it sounds great and it will get peoples attention.:D

·
Registered
50 Posts

and the pan itself.

The supporting brackets are very purpose built and make it easy to fit but I wouldn't pay the $500 that Triumph ask!!

The belly pans from the 99-01 and the Speed Triples are all interchangable but the hardware is very different. The main difference in the belly pan itself is the cutout as Rexxy said.

There are a few slip ons. The Triumph Carbon Can (TOR) is a good choice but there are Arrows, 2Bros and Staintune that do some excellet aftermarket pipes for the RS. The ST's aren't interchangable (except for the 04 RS model).

Good luck.
Steve - you said that 04 RS models can take exhaust from ST models but what year. I have 04 RS with last VIN#: 178278 can I buy a pipe for ST and use it on mine? Can I buy a full system for ST not just a slip-on? will it fit?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Seen a suzuki TL 1000 with a clear clutch cover, never got to ask him where he got it. Any ideas.

Besides Triumph, where can I get a belly pan. and how do I know which gen motor I have ...

sorry new to triumph, spent last 4 years on a hayabusa.
The clear clutch covers on the TL's were a group buy from TLPLanet.com. I had one on mine. If I remember correctly a member in Germany or somewhere was having them made. If you go over to that site you should be able to search for threads with clear clutch cover. Not sure you could get it made for a triumph as the clutch spring and assemply are part of the cover. On the TLs the slave cylinder and pushrod assembly are on the other side. The cover on the TL is a cover only. There was also a problem on the earlier ones were the lexan clear part was mated to the metal ring.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Steve - you said that 04 RS models can take exhaust from ST models but what year. I have 04 RS with last VIN#: 178278 can I buy a pipe for ST and use it on mine? Can I buy a full system for ST not just a slip-on? will it fit?
KonnMan04-
I'm not sure about slip on compatibility- if you have your midpipe I think the cans will work. Are you looking for a full system for performance gain or to replace damaged headers? I don't think the stock headers needed any improvement so I don't know of any aftermarket full systems out there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
KonnMan04-
I'm not sure about slip on compatibility- if you have your midpipe I think the cans will work. Are you looking for a full system for performance gain or to replace damaged headers? I don't think the stock headers needed any improvement so I don't know of any aftermarket full systems out there.
I was just wandering. I have a SSSA model and thought if I want more power, than maybe I can use Sprint ST stuff to put on my RS. since not many things are made for RS.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I was just wandering. I have a SSSA model and thought if I want more power, than maybe I can use Sprint ST stuff to put on my RS. since not many things are made for RS.
The parts fiche shows a header and a can, no midpipe listed. The can interchanges between all '02-'04 Sprints and the header interchanges between '02-'04 RSs only. As Kredge said, I don't think there were any aftermarket full systems. The original header is a stainless 3->1 item, and really hard to improve on.

For compatibility issues, an '04 RS is pretty much RS on the front half and ST on the back.

What part of Brooklyn are you in? I used to live in Williamsburg, and bought my '04 from a friend who grew up there.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts