Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i got new superbars and bar end mirrors to install today. While installing I had trouble geting the controls to slide on far enough. They were essentialy at the bend. When i went for a test run, i realized that the throttle doesnt return when i let it go. throttle works great when i slide it outward, but then my grips are 1.5 inches over. There must be something wrong with the bend, that it doesnt leave enough room for the controls and grips.

Any thoughts? Any one deal with bellacourse customer service?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Never heard anything bad about that company's customer service. Get in touch with them; I'm sure they'll straighten it out.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well I have super bars, black cafe flanders bars and OE bars and all three work flawlesly.

Take a few pictures and post what you are talking about so that we can help you properly. BTW, I am sure Mike at Bella will chime in when he sees this so be patient and let him give you a hand. :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Any one deal with bellacourse customer service?
[GULP] No good can come from this thread.[/GULP]:D

The sticking throttle is not an uncommon problem, but is not necessarily specific to any one aftermarket handlebar. The throttle sleeve needs to move freely inside the control housing. As you mentioned, with the BCC-006 Superbars the control housing clamp is at the beginning of the first (outward) bend. This is correct.

Pay particular attention to the control cables and how they are routed. The lower/narrower handlebars are pushing them inward towards the tank, and that will cause them to twist a bit. No worries, a little fiddling with how the cable blossom-out and under the tank should free-up the throttle. Loosen the cable fittings up at the throttle housing and wiggle the cables until the throttle free's-up. Then lock-down the cables.

/Mike

BellaCorse (where there is room for "U"):eek:

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's very common for throttles to 'stick' after a bar swap. It's normally caused by the inside of the grip rubbing on the end of the bar.

Loosen one of the small allen head bolts that holds the throttle housing to the bar (don't remove it, just loosen it a half-turn or so). Do the same with one of the phillips head bolts (on the front of the housing or on the bottom of the housing).

Then gently pull "out" (just a bit) on the grip, and see if it'll spring back if you turn the throttle. If so, simply re-tighten the bolts while holding the grip away from the end of the bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is definatly not with the cables. I tried wiggiling the cables and even tried with the bars not connected to the bike, so there was no tension or pressure on the cables. I agree with the last poster that its the inside of the grip thats rubbing, but i dont think the little amount of play you are talking about will help. With the alan's completely loose, i really had to push and twist to get the control/grip all the way on. I tried slidding the whole control to the right, and it took over 1/4in before the throttle moved freely.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Are the handlebars dimpled? By that, I mean are there pressed-in indentations under the first (outwardmost) bends?

/Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have no doubt that BellaCorse will help you get this figured out (As is already underway). My few dealings have been nothing but good.

Is there any funk inside the throttle grip? A little bit of adhesive that worked its way in there or something? A little chunk of grip rubber or some crud from around the bar end mirror mounting?

As stated, a lot of folks have minor cable problems after fitting lower bars, but a bit of fiddling USUALLY seems to take care of it.

I went with K&N Superbars and after a few minutes loosening and sliding a couple things around, they look and work great. It happens with ANYBODY'S bars. Just some fine tuning and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the inside of the grip looked fine.

Bella, i will check for the dimple when i get home from work today, and will post my results. I am assuming there is a problem with the bend. Maybe the metal flaired slightly. the Grip slid on easily to a point were the grip overhung buy 1.5-2 inches. the rest required twisting and pushing. THE SAME IF NOT MORE FORCE was required to get the left side control on enough to put the grip on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bella,
I checked the bars last night, they dont have a noticable dimple, but there is a slight thining on the underside of the bend. Please call me to discuss, i am PM ing you my number

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi,what a lot of people don't realise is the carbed model has the old push and pull carby setup- which means for us newbies,(me included) one pulls the cable and the other pushs the cable,now even with my limited knowledge,your only get a return spring pulling your twistgrip back,so if it binds,at least you know the reason:)J.B.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Any news on the cause? I had BC Superbars on my bike for a long while and found them to be great with no problems at all. I switched to M bars for looks mainly and still think the superbars were one of the best all around bars out there. Maybe just a manufacturer defect... it happens to everything once in a while.
Mondo

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok so i got new superbars and bar end mirrors to install today. While installing I had trouble geting the controls to slide on far enough. They were essentialy at the bend.
Had the exact same problem with NB Superbars. Seemed that the controls hit the bend in the bars resulting in them hanging over the edge (by an inch almost). I loosened the assembly of the controls a tad, and was able to slide them almost completely on (about a eighth of an inch still hung over) and then attempted to re-tighten the assembly as much as possible. Any time I tightened it to the point of being secure, same issue with sticking throttle.

What I found I had to do is find the "sweet spot", basically rotating the position of the controls until the problem was less persistent when the assembly was tightened sufficiently. Resulted in the inability to adjust the position of my bars\controlls, however I didn't mind the position of them, so left it as is (however not entirely thrilled about it).
I contacted NB and found that it wasn't a common issue (they hadn't heard of it before), and on this forum although there have been posts by people with the same issue, it doesn't seem to be a common problem. Only thought is that it must be a defect in a few bars, or maybe the crimp in the first bend is a bit more extreme in certain cases?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
With all due respect, Laserman, I think it's poor form to post by name a product you think has a problem, title the topic using the supplier's name and question his customer service on an international forum before you extend the courtest of contacting him personally and discussing with him one-on-one. Imagine if someone had some difficulty with something that has your name or your business's name on it and blind sided you by broadcast it all over the internet. Mike's good people. I ran his bars when I had a Bonneville Black without any problems. I've swapped countless handlebars on bikes and it's a stretch to blame a bar for throttle issues if you know what you're doing. The few specialty suppliers for aftermarket parts are small businessmen who are providing us a useful service. How about a little sensitivity to these men's livelyhoods.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thought I would bring this thread back to life because now I am having the exact same problem.

The problem is not cable routing, it's the bend in the bars. At the point where you tighten the allen bolts holding on the assembly the bars are already starting their bend, so tightening them pulls the two halves together more then they are intended to, causing the back of the assembly on the outer end to flair outward - thus grabbing the throttle tube and making it stick.

I believe the only solution is some kind of washer or washers that will prevent the allen bolts from pulling the two parts together so tightly.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
330 Posts
If I were a betting man...

It's very common for throttles to 'stick' after a bar swap. It's normally caused by the inside of the grip rubbing on the end of the bar.

Loosen one of the small allen head bolts that holds the throttle housing to the bar (don't remove it, just loosen it a half-turn or so). Do the same with one of the phillips head bolts (on the front of the housing or on the bottom of the housing).

Then gently pull "out" (just a bit) on the grip, and see if it'll spring back if you turn the throttle. If so, simply re-tighten the bolts while holding the grip away from the end of the bar.
Hogtied has this one nailed. I'd be surprised if this did not work. I had the same problem with my bars at first.

Let us know...

SK

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hogtied has this one nailed. I'd be surprised if this did not work. I had the same problem with my bars at first.

Let us know...

SK
I have not installed my grips yet so no, that is not the problem.

The problem is no doubt what I described above, the question is what is the solution to it. I have an idea that I'm going to try out today. I'll report.

·
Registered
737 Posts
having same problem with superbar. i'm thinking is cable route ut now you guys got me wondering. It gets worse when the bars are turned towards the throttle...sounds like cable to me?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Nope! I reused my stock end caps by using a piece of rubber hose a washer and a nut. Slide it in the bar a tighten it up the rubber spreads and holds really good. So i just pulled it out a bit and tightened back up. It was touching the end of the grip just enough to make it sticky.

·
Registered
245 Posts
With all due respect, Laserman, I think it's poor form to post by name a product you think has a problem, title the topic using the supplier's name and question his customer service on an international forum before you extend the courtest of contacting him personally and discussing with him one-on-one. Imagine if someone had some difficulty with something that has your name or your business's name on it and blind sided you by broadcast it all over the internet. Mike's good people. I ran his bars when I had a Bonneville Black without any problems. I've swapped countless handlebars on bikes and it's a stretch to blame a bar for throttle issues if you know what you're doing. The few specialty suppliers for aftermarket parts are small businessmen who are providing us a useful service. How about a little sensitivity to these men's livelyhoods.
IMHO, I think the complete opposite. I was able to identify the problem part, brand he was using, what he was trying to do. Even though it wasn't 100% correct, it was a hella job getting us started on helping him.

It also seems that other people are having the same problem with the fit of the bars...it will be nice to have this subject line show up on a search. Especially since I will own these bars soon.

I don't think his post was an attack...these men's livelyhoods depend on quality of the part (which they do very well) so there is not much danger in a subject line of a forum from a guy with 13 total posts.

so take it easy playin internet hero! :Darn

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.