Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got these? Any experience with them? They look good but I've heard you can't see alot out of them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If your talkin bout the "Oval Chrome" ones I have them. http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc081.htm
They do provide an excellent view of the inside of your elbow. I put them on and have yet to take them off,they just look so much better then the stockers. Reckon I would go with bar enders if I ever changed.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that's them. I should have been more specific. I like em! I wouldn't mind moving my elbow alittle to see behind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a pair and couldn't see ANYTHING at all behind me. didn't feel very safe.
I actually still have them. They were on my bike for a total of 2 days. I'll sell them to you for $50.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
They're pretty, and likely work on really wide bars. You just gotta take the width of your handlebars into consideration.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On 2006-12-14 23:13, Milkman wrote:
I bought a pair and couldn't see ANYTHING at all behind me. didn't feel very safe.
I actually still have them. They were on my bike for a total of 2 days. I'll sell them to you for $50.
PM Sent

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I just got a pair also. I haven't yet ridden with them but from just sitting on the bike I can tell the vision isn't going to be as good as the stockers, and I believe they did say that they were not DOT approved. But they look great and I'll probably stay with them. I always turn my head anyway and never relied totally on my mirrors. Besides they do look nice. What was it that the "Fonz" said about the mirrors on his bike....." I don't want to see where I've been, I want to see how cool I look getting there."

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What was it that the "Fonz" said about the mirrors on his bike....." I don't want to see where I've been, I want to see how cool I look getting there."
Words to live by! :wink:

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've got them on my Bonnie - best lookin mirrors you'll ever see, but unfortunately, not very functional - and I've got wide, low bars we call 'seagulls' - bit like old Norton or Iron head XLX sporty bars. I wouldn't like to be running in a big city with these mirrors really, but they do OK where I am...
Not rubber mounted, but vibes seem not too bad

·
Registered
454 Posts
Same as Pat.
I bought these last year and really don't like them for multilane traffic, although It does give me more neck excercise. They can be made a little more workable by rotating the stems a little more forward than you would think best, and it gives a little wider view.
Overall, not a very good view, so I'm looking for something more functional, but that don't look so much like the stock 'Mickey Mouse ears' mirrors.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What if these mirrors were convex? Would that help? Wonder what it would cost to have the mirrors replaced with convex?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On 2006-12-16 16:44, trav13 wrote:
the chrome on them is really cheap too.
Really? Haven't heard anything about them being poor quality.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Well I've taken my first ride with the mirrors and the visibility is poor at best. The problem is they just don't stick out far enough. You have to lean out to see directly behind you and then your elbows block alot of the vision. I sure wish they didn't look so nice. I think a set of barends may be in the future. I wonder also if the heads can be fitted on the stock stems? They look to be longer and could be bent down a bit. I think someone here has already successfully bent his stems.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I purchased some used from someone here so I'll try to make them work. I was trying something yesterday while riding with my Yamaha mirrors. What if you turned the mirrors so that you see your chest in both but when going to use them you lean right or left alittle, in other words, lean right to look into the left mirror and lean left to look into the right mirror. give that a try. I know, sounds like alot of trouble , but not really, plus the mirrors look so good it would be worth it. I mainly use mine when stopped to see if someone is going to plow into me. I try to look back at other times.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm looking at the stock mirrors now and they mount differently. I'd be happy with about 3" longer stems. Maybe a piece can be added to the middle of the stems, cutting them and welding a piece in, filing and sanding smooth. You would ruin the chrome but from what I hear the chrome isn't the best anyway. They would look good painted black.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Lox you can get stem extenders for the stock mirrors or just convert them to bar ends for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I think I remember seeing the extenders, and that could be included into my mod that I started. I really like the shape of the ovals but they need to be extended out farther. Here's a start of my combo, stock stems and oval heads. So far what I have done hasn't ruined anything. My hole and grinding would be covered by the stock sleeve.
First picture is stock stem drilled and filed flat to accept the oval mirror head.

Next is the Mirror head attached.

And then a couple shots of the semi-completed assembly.

There is plenty to do, but it has promise. The threaded ends of the stock stems would have to be removed, and the stems would have to be bent downward to lower the mirrors.
I may have reach the limit of my ability. It's like I know where I want to go but don't know how to get there.

Page Title

Page Title

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/loxpump/mirror1.jpg[/IMG]]Page Title

[ This message was edited by: Loxpump on 2006-12-17 18:56 ]

1 - 20 of 43 Posts