Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to take off my headers to send them away for coating. Anything I need to worry about before I start unscrewing stuff?

·
29,948 Posts
Yes, the nuts on the studs on the cylinder head sometimes sieze, because they get so hot during use. A squirt of penetrating lubricant on those before you start - and let it soak overnight - is often a wise precaution. Go easy on them.

Other than that it's not too bad, and with a bit of luck, since your bike is fairly new yet, they will come off OK anyway.

I took my footpegs off to get at the mounting bolt on the frame.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Also put some penetrating oil (i used PB Blaster) on the crosspipe clamp which for me was far tighter than the head nuts.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
these guys aren't far from my house, and the prices seem reasonable.

http://www.boneheadperformance.com

also: on left side of the bike, the paint has worn on the engine (transmission?) cover where my jeans and heel have rubbed against the black coated metal (i have a bonnie black). i was going to send that away as well, but i have no idea what's behind it, so i'm nervous to take off the cover. tips?

·
29,948 Posts
The left hand side is the clutch cover (left hand as you sit on the bike, just to be sure).

This is the sort of stuff that is behind it:

Sorry I only have these two close up views to hand.

Before you take it off, review the manual. It's simple enough, but not trivial.

There is a "wavy" washer that goes on the starter motor pinion, and butts up against the clutch cover. It is VERY important that this gets replaced properly.

There are also bearings and seals pressed into the clutch cover, all of which will need to be removed prior to powder coating, and then replaced (best with new ones) afterwards.

There is also a large metal plate that retains a rubber "thing" - basically a noise dampener, this is also bolted to the inside of the clutch cover.

So - you need to decide how comfortable you are with doing all that. It's not hard, but it is easy to strip threads in the crankcases when replacing the clutch cover. A torque wrench that can do 10 Nm is a must, and I strongly recommend making sure that you have either the haynes or triumph OEM manual, to make sure you get set up of the clutch lever and other stuff right.

I don't mean to scare you here - just want to give you a realistic idea of what's involved - I don't know your comfort level with mechanics, so I just want to help you judge that.

EDIT: By the way, Triumph Performance USA offer an exchange service on powder coated side covers. Something to bear in mind maybe.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bummer. it sort of sucks that the paint came off so easily from my jeans.

prop: thanks for those pictures and the description. there is no way i could remove it and replace it with confidence. i guess i'll have to find someone to help me out or cough up some cash to have a local wrench do the work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts