Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bags are original triumph throw over. I untied them from each other and tucked the leather throw over into the bracket. Then used a $60usd quick disconnect bracket system. Now I need to learn how to buff the marks out of the fender.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love the look of that set up! Sooo, Clean looking. I have to do that. Where did you get the bracket kit? Do you happen to have the part number? I got get to a set asap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, 169.00 US you said yours was 60.00, or was that a typo?
Hmmm... that's strange, when I click the link it shows $60 USD. Every place I've seen these they are about $60USD.

Here they are at AMAZON FOR $65. I think JP cycles has a small mark up. Look at the pictures, they look very close to the exact same thing. MAybe some different color bolts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's a great setup. I'm half way through doing something similar with my T100 but nowhere near as nice as yours. Mine uses four hooks from the hardware store bolted to cheap Willie & Max bags to hang them on a pannier frame, and bungie cord to stop them swinging around . . . achieving a "shade tree mechanic" vibe rather than looking pretty.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If your going to compare prices you have to match them to the product.
Apples with apples.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
They don't look like Easy Brackets.
Easy Brackets that I've owned do not have that gap in the top.
They look similar in function, so if you're satisfied with the quality, you saved over $100, but having read the reviews, they don't seem that great!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking back, they are two different products. The EZ brackets look a little like the Vikings quick disconnect. The ones I used in the picture are the $60 ones. I can’t speak for the others but I’m sure they work great too!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE:
Hey all. I'm sorry about all the confusion, I didn't mean to confuse them with the EZ brackets, I'm sure the EZ brackets are awesome. I can only speak for these ones ( the $60 ones).

So, the negatives:
1: My bags are triumph throw overs and I didn't want to cut the leather off, so I tucked it into the bracket. It works, but I need to push them back a little bit to turn the key. Not a big deal, it's only when I take them on or off.

2: The instructions and parts come with 2 bolts ( M8 1.25) to attach the bracket to the saddle bags. I rode all day with them, and they were fine, but... they have me wondering if 2 bolts can work long term. The parts DID come with 4 extra nuts (big squares you see in the picture). So, I took one of the bolts to the hardware store, and bought 4 more just like them, (although they use a screwdriver instead of hex wrench). And I added 2 more at the top of each bracket, so now there are 4 bolts attaching the brackets to the bags, and WOW!!!! TOTALLY solid, no wiggle at all.

3: Look at the picture of my fender with out the bags. See the spacers? They give you 4 of the chrome spacers all the same size. thas a problem. The problem is that the shape of the fender strut means I need a shorter one in the front. The good news, is that the instructions address this. So, they predicted it. In the instructions, they tell you so use washers to even out the spacers. But they don't give you enough washers. So, I could have just bought some more washers, but then I had a cool idea. What you see in the picture, is that I took one of the spacers that I used for the throw over set up I had, and one of the spacers they give me in the kit, and it seemed to work perfect! So, now they go on even.

4: I wish they were all chrome.

Aside from that, so far, I can't say there are many other negatives. I like that the brackets (see the picture) go the length of the back to minimize sagging.

Here is the link again to the ones I bought on Amazon, was it $60 or $65?

I hope this is all helpful to someone.

Best,
Ethan-

1 - 10 of 10 Posts