Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Beefing up fork top covers

I have been debating if i want to buy new top covers or simply beef the original covers up and have them chromed again.

It has been mentioned that these have a tendency to break while riding (this one broke on the trailer back to my house)

I am thinking of having someone weld something thicker onto the covers just wondering if anyone else has done so and if you have any suggestions.

I am not a welder so any advice you can give me while looking for a welder or questions for me to ask before hand would be great as well.

·
Premium Member
9,992 Posts
That are sinificantly different to typical T140 shrouds.
Unless they are easy to find, repair what you have

Also bear in mind that new replacements can be genuine NOS or repop. Often, NOS is far better quality

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
the weakness is obviously in the tab with the squarish hole in it -so as you say beef up the tab - maybe duplicate the piece of tab that sticks out of the shroud including the "squarish! hole - so with the original tab plus the new tab you are doubling the thickness --- I doubt if there are any repro parts like it available due to the low numbers of model manufactured - new old stock may be out there but you may have the same failure eventually --- your welder will be aware that he will have to grind the chrome off where he will be welding

·
Banned
976 Posts
the weakness is obviously in the tab with the squarish hole in it -so as you say beef up the tab - maybe duplicate the piece of tab that sticks out of the shroud including the "squarish! hole - so with the original tab plus the new tab you are doubling the thickness --- I doubt if there are any repro parts like it available due to the low numbers of model manufactured - new old stock may be out there but you may have the same failure eventually --- your welder will be aware that he will have to grind the chrome off where he will be welding
Nah. Chrome burns off pretty well.. :) will have to be rechromed though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts