Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a ride this morning with my brother into Melbourne and this awesome looking bike rolled up and parked close to where we were. My brother says "it's a triumph". Sure enough, there were Triumph badges on the engine. I asked the owner who told me it is a 68 or 69 (i forget now) Bonnieville. He has owned it since the early 70's and has done all the work himself, making most of the parts along the way. Now, it's not my type of ride, but I thought it was a work of art and might be appreciated by many here.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,990 Posts
Could be the most convoluted and overworked exhaust I've ever seen.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could well be right, but I gotta say the sound was amazing.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I feel better now. So the U.S. is not the only place that has ridiculous bikes that can't corner or brake - the virus has infected Down Under too. That said, I do appreciate the work and artistry, but as a road-going machine this is a failure.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth....:ThrowUp

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't think it would be everyones cup of tea and it certainly isn't mine, but i gotta start thinking "when does it stop being a Bonnieville"? It reminds me of an episode of 'Only fools and horses' (a brilliant british sitcom from the 80's and 90's) when one of the characters called 'Trigger' who works as a road sweeper for the local council says he's had the same broom for 20 years. Then goes on to explain its had 12 new heads and 16 new handles, but its still the same broom!

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
Yeah, I doubt you can call it a Bonneville anymore, more like a custom Triumph Chopper.
On one of those Biker Buildoff shows from a few years ago, Arlen Ness built a chopper with a Triumph engine. That was as much a Bonnie as this is.

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Oh boy...... as a Bonnie owner and someone who a gets great joy out of customizing it and trying to make the bike really show off its essence, that thing is terrible.

I will say that there are lots of masteries at work here and I can appreciate that but overall it is not for me.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I realize there are those that appreciate such bikes but I just view it as another example of an expert fabricator and painter who should not. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Yes, I'd say it was a little over the top.
There is a somewhat local bike I've see and would like to shoot (photograph) that's a pre-unit Triumph in a stock HD frame that is pretty cool. It's a Track Bike motif With a slight extension but raked flat. Single small saddle, flat bars and I swear suicide clutch and jockey shift. I've seen it in passing a couple of times and it's a genuine rat bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts