Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for a pretty trivial post, but I just wanted to throw this out there. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE BRITISH CUSTOMS QUICK RELEASE SEAT SCREWS. I was at the dealership a few weeks ago picking up a helmet lock and while I was outside with an allen wrench taking the bolts off for the seat was sold by the guy there on dropping $25 on the quick release seat screws which would presumably make my life much easier. Screwed them down as hard as I could with my hands - the whole point, I assumed. Fast forward two weeks and the damn things fly off the back of my bike on the highway. Not the end of the world, but a hard pot hole could have possibly caused me some real trouble. More importantly, what are you supposed to check them every single time you get on your bike? Are you supposed to torque them down with an allen wrench defeating the whole point of buying them? Save your $25.

Sorry for the venting.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of your money. However, if you would have done a search here you would have found several conversations suggesting a small lock washer or a touch of locktite to keep these bolts in place. I lost one too, and now use lockwashers. Never lost another one. Mine were purchased at Newbonneville, so the problem is not unique with BC. All the vendors sell basically the same seat bolt product and the aftermarket bolts do make removing the seat and swapping seats a lot easier.

I'm not making a snarky or critical comment, just recommending using the search function a lot more. Every problem you encounter or any thing you think about buying usually has more than one thread discussing it on record here. I do a search anytime I'm thinking of adding a mod or farkle.

Ride safe eric.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Allways amazes me why quick release seat screws how often do you guys take your seat off. I have a Din plug to charge the battery...No other reason other than to take off the tank and long ball ended allen key is just a easy.... If you want quick release buy two long bolts and thread them through the frame lugs so that they face rearwads then fit seat with spacers and wing nuts then a rubber band streched across theends to stop the wingnuts from coming undone

·
Registered
978 Posts
I replaced the bolts with longer stainless Allen bolts with a long shoulder I ran a nut along the thread up to the shoulder and tightened it. Works fine, cost about £1
Can get in with Allen key without shredding knuckles, carry that key in wife's bag. Sorted.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
M6x 1.0 pitch x 80mm long stainless steel. The photo shows 90mm long, but shorter will do just as well:

Love my bi-metallic ones from PJ Glassfibre in the UK. Machined Aluminium parts joined together by stainless steel bolt. Anodised and with polished highlights and can be operated by hand using the knurled bit and then nipped up using the allen head.

More suggestions on these threads:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/210631-quick-release-seat-screws.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/115557-the-curious-case-of-disappearing-seat-bolts.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/100307-bonnie-seat-quick-release-refined.html

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
BC and NB screws are not the same. BTW, I have a seat/rack and a 2 up seat. I like to change them. The ALUMINUM BC bolt broke off while I was finger tightening! The STAINLESS NB bolts came with lock washers. No problem with them.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Hi Tonupdave!
I have three seats, the stocker, a retro seat and a half seat and rack. I swap depending on mood and if I have to carry something or not, so the quick change bolts work for me. I agree with you that if you're running one seat, the bolts might not be needed.

·
Registered
10,707 Posts
Hand-tight will eventually come out no matter what you do. I have the extended bolts for convenience, but I use lockwashers and a screwdriver with them. I lost one a couple years ago in spite of tightening with a screwdriver. Now I keep an eye on them, check the tightness every now and then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Transfer the side panel screws to the seat and the seat screws to the side panels... use a. flat bladed screwdriver to reach the seat bolts for easy removal and to make sure they are tight when installed. Use the provided Allen to tighten the side panels and then pop the key in your jacket pocket just incase for any reason you need to get behind the. panels.... which you don't because the Allan key in your pocket!
No need for lock washers, 243 or expensive gimmicks... Simples works and doesn't cost a penny.. Ride Safe TJ

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
837 Posts
your local TruValue or Ace shod have some metric shoulder bolts in the hardware drawers. They cost about $170 each. And work better than NB or BC overpriced sh*t.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Ovni, I'm sure you mean $1.70. But I get your meaning. I don't agree. I appreciate these small vendors who supply us with stuff we want/need. I don't mind paying a little extra every once in a while if they can make enough to stay in business. There are a lot of people I'm made to give my money to who I resent a lot more than these small businesses.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I've only ridden 2000 miles with mine installed but haven't had any problems. I check them out of habit when doing my walk around but haven't found them to be backed out yet and I keep them hand tight. I'll be more diligent in my pre-ride checks given this information however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't mind paying a little extra every once in a while if they can make enough to stay in business. There are a lot of people I'm made to give my money to who I resent a lot more than these small businesses.
Agree.

I have the NB seat bolts, which come with a small lock washer. Hand tight for 3,000 miles at this point without a problem. I also give them a little test on my pre-ride check. Sometimes they take a millimeter or two of a twist.

I liked them when I was dealing with a question of a battery/starting issue, and installing an accessory outlet, as well as fiddling with the AI. Seat was on and off to attach multimeter in various scenarios and get wiring squared away. Don't take the seat off too much any more, but I consider it a good purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
M6x 1.0 pitch x 80mm long stainless steel. The photo shows 90mm long, but shorter will do just as well:

+1 on this option!
Stopped by the hardware store yesterday and picket up a couple of bolts and flange nuts and made my own seat screw extenders. Cost $2 ea as I went for the stainless option. Could have been less than a buck if you are happy with the standard black bolts.
The bolts I found have a textured head so you can tighten by hand if you want.
I went with 60mm long (longest I could find) and they tuck nicely under a standard bonneville seat, granted they are not "tool free" but the extension makes it super easy to remove and install, plus I much appreciate the ability to tighten them down all the way.
I now have a set of black New Bonneville Tool Free Solo bolts if anyone wants them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts