Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Over the last year or so, mostly from the Forum, I've collected all the parts for a British Customs fender eliminator kit for a 2004 Thruxton. Love the stock bike, but always trying something new.

The seat, LED brake/tail light, turn signals (non-LED), plates holder/debris plate are all BC. The rear wiring harness is from Squaredeals UK (not BC) and has the same 3 pin connector as the brake/tail light

The turn signals work perfectly. At first the brake light worked when applied, but the tail light would not come on in any key position.

I checked the fuse for the tail light and sure enough it had blown. I replaced it, and now neither the brake nor tail light come on. All fuses are now good.

I reconnected the stock Triumph brake and tail light/signal cluster (non-LED) and it works perfectly in all settings.

I believe that power is flowing through the Squaredeals wiring harness (from a quick voltmeter check, 8 volts at the tail light). Does the “plug and play” harness need some kind of “resister” for LED to work?

Could I have “blown” the LED tail light/brake light somehow? Or can I test it without harm by hooking it directly to the 12v battery with some spare wire?

I’ve attached images of the components on and off the bike (2004 Thruxton).

Thanks for any help,
Craig

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I tested the LED directly using both a 9 volt battery and the bike's 12 volt battery. The brake light worked and so did the tail light. There are three wires in the BC LED tail light/brake light plug, Red, Black, and Yellow.

While the Yellow is connected to a negative battery terminal, I can get the brighter brake light (more LEDS light up) to come on by connecting the Red to the battery's positive. With Yellow still on the battery's negative, the tail light comes on when connecting the Black wire to a battery's positive. I assume this means the Yellow is the ground, Red is brake, Black is tail light. Ok, LED lights are not blown.

Testing the Squaredeal's harness. The harness also has three wires of the same color and the matching receptacle/plug for the LED tail light. They fit perfect and line up with each other. Plug and play, right? From here I applied power directly via battery and wires to the other end, the rectangular 6 slot plug (with only 5 slots used - pictured here out of focus) that goes to the bike and includes the turn signal power. Again, once I wired the correct combination, it would come on with either a 9 volt or 12v battery. The correct combination was having a negative lead on the center prong (only one row has a center prong, I'll call this the "lower row") and the positive lead on the top row left prong (for brake) and lower row right for tail light. The positives and negative wires were not reversible and this is the only way it lit.

I tested the stock Triumph harness and tail light/turn signals cluster as well and found that applying power to the same prongs got the same results, but the connections were also reversible in polarity (they light up with either negative or positive connections on the prongs). And perhaps even different combinations seemed possible, not just the two noted above for the Squaredeals harness.

When plugged into the bike, still no tail or brake light comes on the LED. BC turn signals work when connected to harness so power is flowing through the harness, just not lighting up the LEDs. Fuses are good, stock brake/tail light cluster works good.

Any advice, just lemme know.

Thanks,
Craig

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem almost solved. The harness did not quite work with the BC 3 pin plug.

I checked the wiring at the bike’s rear harness (identified the correct three wires in the Triumph manual) and jumped it to the tail light, it worked as it should. The problem had to be a difference in the Squaredeals wiring at the plug. Through trial and error I confirmed that the Squaredeals wires, while the matching exact color (see pic), were not for the same purpose. The black acts as the ground on the Squaredeals, the yellow is the ground on the BC light. The wires need to be reversed at one end of the receptacle and it will work.

I know that aftermarket wires are often different colors and some testing is involved, but these were the same colors and had a matching, one way, 3 wire plug. So much for plug and play, but could have been worse.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plug and Play. After you identify and splice the correct wires. Done.

·
Registered
652 Posts
LOL
Was just starting reading through your post, thinking mismatch between manufacturer as led lights need to be wired correct way round unlike normal bulbs but it looks like you have solved this issue on your own, yeah any colour is good for anything by the looks of it, shame there wasn't a bit of a standard

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL is right. It was neat to try out the cafe racer set up. Turn signals blend right in (but are pretty bright). I'll put on some miles this Spring but likely go back to stock seat, fender, and signal set-up eventually. Sometimes I just need to strap luggage on a flat seat. Or maybe I juts need an additional bike, hmmm.

Rear2.JPG
RF3.JPG
RR2.JPG

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DEI titanium wraps. I purchased the headers already wrapped from the a forum member (Speedfoos). They are chrome underneath. Eventually I will remove them and replace with the original headers, now powdercoated black to match the pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts