Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I do not yet have a triumph, but i am in the process of buying an '09 thruxton. The first thing i would like to do is put on the BC basic performance package. I have been doing as much research on my own as possible but i have a few quick questions that i'm sure someone can easily answer.

The BC product page for the basic upgrade states that Triumph offroad tune, power commander, or tuneboy should be used with this kit. - i assume that the offroad tune is the one that the dealer would use for the arrow exhaust if they installed it? Are there any downfalls to using this tune as opposed to paying the $500 for the tuneboy or power commander? My main concern is breaking in the bike and not having the proper tuning while it is in the break in stage.

Also, the are the predators slip ons? The reason i ask is because there is a seperate product page to have the headers ceramic coated.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
No expert here, but you don't want your bike running lean, because that means it is running hot which is not good. However, a motorcycle tech friend of mine said that the modern fuel injected bikes will not really run right if they're dangerously lean, so this would be pretty obvious if it was set up improperly to the point where damage could occur. If your pipes are really blued way down the header, that could be a sign that your bike is running pretty hot as well.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
The BC product page for the basic upgrade states that Triumph offroad tune, power commander, or tuneboy should be used with this kit. - i assume that the offroad tune is the one that the dealer would use for the arrow exhaust if they installed it? Are there any downfalls to using this tune as opposed to paying the $500 for the tuneboy or power commander? My main concern is breaking in the bike and not having the proper tuning while it is in the break in stage.

Also, the are the predators slip ons? The reason i ask is because there is a seperate product page to have the headers ceramic coated.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Your assumption about the Triumph offroad tune is correct- it's for the factory approved exhaust systems.
Downfalls include:
1. Incorrect fuel map for non-factory approved exhausts (too lean, too rich all across the rpm range or just at certain rpms- too lean at cruise = bad, for example)
2. You won't get the full power potential of the modifications
3. Rideability problems could result (hard starting, sputtering, surging, pinging, etc)

Predators are slip-ons.
Ceramic coating is just another mod BC offers.

IMO, you get what you pay for. It might be expensive, but it's better for the bike (and ultimately your wallet) in the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts