Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought an immaculate 1976 T140V over to Hawaii. Tried to get it registered and they said I needed to take it down to the "reconstructed title" section of the DMV. I talked to the person who I am going to meet with and he said that he had to verify the VIN # - but then rambled on about verifying what the original bike had on it in the way of certain safety items - such as turn signals. This bike - from what I can see did not come standard with turn signals - you may have been able to order thenm with turn signals (and witing diagrams appear to show that they were available) - but this bike does not have them and there is not a hole - post - or place for them to com out of the headligh assymbly or tail light area. (no problem with the Vin # - it's all in order).

So - is there any place I can find original stock factory equipment - standard - on a T140V bonneville to prepare for doing battle with the beauracrates? This is a great bike that does not appear to be modified other than some chrome here and there.

Appreciate any advice or information.

DR Pettigrew

·
Registered
625 Posts
Reconstructed? What triggered the DMV to go that route with the bike?

As of 1971, the Gov't required that all motorcycles sold in the US be equipped with turn signals. Make sure you're up on all of that sort of thing ... the inspector will certainly not be ... For example, he may try to say "the headlight MUST come on with the ignition" ... but that wasn't required until '78 ...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Reconstructed? If the VIN is in order, that is strange. But I've lots of horror stories of the Hawaiian DMV. They are worse than the Califas DMV where, who have now become pretty user friendly. :D

But I digress. Your bike originally came with turn signals.

How about some pictures of the h/lamp brackets, rear seat area and handlebars? That will help.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
t100rc
I could be wrong but I believe the headlites on thing was a '79 model requirement not '78.
Edit
As an update just checked some owners manuals I have and the wiring diagrams refer to
'79 up Califorinia and Canadian models. So I suspect it was not a 48 State requirement.
Regardless I also would like to see pictures and DRPETTIGREW I am wondering where you brought the bike over from.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Greeting Dr. Pettigrew,

Welcome to the forum. And yes you need turnsignals. Good luck
with the DMV. Keep us posted on the matter.

The law in your state are most likely close to NC laws. All the
older vechiles in NC have to go through the DMV inspector and
Theift inspector these days. So you having to go to a special
branch of the DMV in your state, really is not that big of a
surprise to me.

NOTE to everyone the days are comming, get your extra frames
titled now!

Kadutz,

My 1979 still has a seperate position for the headlight.

Pookybear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

KADUTZ, t100rc, El Tejon:

First – thanks for the prompt and informative posts – it was invaluable.

Second – no Dr. – DR is just first initials.

“What triggered the DMV to go that route with the bike?” - Hawaii bureaucracy and little people that momentarily have some power via a uniform or title. They claimed it was the age of the vehicle and would not give me the registration.

Nevertheless - the inspector said that I needed turn signals and – though I might win it with lawyers in court – I ordered the turn signals from Rabers out of San Jose CA – they deal in Triumph parts. Bit pricey but sounds like it will bolt on. Had to also order the flasher – could not find one installed. On the good side – checked out the turn signal switch continuity and it’s good to go (right side on this bike).

Looks like a bolt on along with running some wires. I could have fought it but I just want to ride my bike and not deal with the crap from City Hall.

The Bike is great – started on the second kick.

One more question – sounds basic but I haven’t ridden a street bike in over 40 years – what is the Dip switch supposed to do? What it does on this bike is turn on the low beams – while you hold it on – I think something is a bit hosed in the wiring inside the headlight. Should be fairly easy to sort out. Is it supposed to be a momentary Hi Beam?

Thanks again for your replies.

DRP

·
Registered
29 Posts
the dmv is always a crap shoot...sometimes you can go back another time and talk to someone else and they will give you a totally different answer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts