Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to my storage facility today to start my new sprint to keep the battery charged...come to find out it barely turned over...I had to buy an inverter so I could bring my battery charger/jumper down to get it running...it took me 2 hours of fiddling to get it running. I might have flooded it possibly so for some reason had a hard time with it....do these have a hard time cranking in cold weather? (23 degrees) How long will a batter sit in cold weather before it cant turn the bike over? :???:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You and me both. Starts like poo poo in the ciold. I keep mine a tender, and it still sucks. It only gets worse.....

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean it gets worse??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mines the same
<BR>when it was around 3C just before Christmas the bike didn't want to know despite being kept on an optimate all the time its in the shed.
<BR>Had the battery checked at the dealer last weekend and its charging fine at 14 amps plus the optimate charged it back up when it flattened on starting.
<BR>
<BR>Dealer couldn't really give me an answer but did say the idea of some throttle as you turn over was not the answer as the ecu remembers where the last throttle position (closed when switched off) was so will set to that

[ This message was edited by: Pilsbury on 2007-01-22 12:58 ]

·
Registered
259 Posts
Dealers say lot sof things, many of which bear no resemblance to reality. I wondered when my bike was brand new why I had to crank it for 6 seconds or so before it would fire. They say this is normal. I say normal compared to what, an earthmover?

Then I read the very good advice to open the throttle about 25% or so, crank for a second or two, and snap the throttle closed. Bike fires instantly, in half the time, every time. Ask them to explain that.

And many thanks to whomever posted that excellent technique.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My bike is kept on a tender, but parked outside. It's only had trouble starting once, when it was 22F outside and it had sat overnight. The battery's original and the bike's running 15/50 oil too which might have had something to do with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts