Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i m completing my engine upgrade soon and i wonder what battery should i use. Approximately 145-150whp (compression increase, head tuning, forged pistons etc)... I m thinking of using a lithium battery but i don't know how many CCA can stand my starter... Will a 300cca battery cause damage on my starter or will it be ok? I couldn't find more info about that.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here are two upgraded batteries that other riders have installed on their 08-12 Tiger 1050 and 13+ Tiger Sports

Upgrade: Yuasa YTZ14S this one is rated 230 CCA

Upgrade: Motobatt MBTX12U this one is rated 200 CCA (I use this one on my 2012 1050 SE)

A higher cold cranking amp rating describes what the battery is capable of providing - a CCA higher rating wont overload your starter, it will just give the starter more current available if it needs it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JWheels thank you so much for your reply! So i guess a lithium battery of the same form factor that can provide 300cca won't be a problem?
I m thinking of this battery or equal: Skyrich

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Hey guys, i m completing my engine upgrade soon and i wonder what battery should i use. Approximately 145-150whp (compression increase, head tuning, forged pistons etc)... I m thinking of using a lithium battery but i don't know how many CCA can stand my starter... Will a 300cca battery cause damage on my starter or will it be ok? I couldn't find more info about that.
Thanks in advance!
I did something similar to my '09 Scrambler. Three months later I discovered that the starter was next weak link in the chain. Fortunately I had built an excellent relationship with the local service department and they were able to get the starter warrantied because the motor was OEM stock... wink, wink. No, they did not do the motor build, it was done at a different Florida Triumph dealership 500+ miles away as recommended by the Triumph Area Representative because of their experience. They're a third generation family owned dealership and a great reputation for building very special motors for the flat trackers. I did keep my local deal informed and even offer the service manager and lead Triumph tech a test ride shortly after I got the bike home. They accepted my offer and were very very impressed. All that said my local dealer was there for me when I needed them and the started was covered by warranty. The local dealer made a few changes to the new started to beef it up. Can't remember what he did but it cost me very little, parts and labor to make the changes to the starter.

Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts