Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 Bonnies that I need to winterize, and I have a question regarding the battery tender.

First of all, I have the Battery Tender Jr...but I just found one a Die Hard at Sears for $19. Which one is better to use do you think?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871219000P

Also, with 2 bikes, do I need to have 2 battery tenders?
The winter's in Chicago last from December to begining of April.
Do I take both batteries out of the bikes and put them on tenders for the whole winter? Or, can I just have 1 tender, and occasionally charge each battery during the winter?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've got 2 Bonnies that I need to winterize, and I have a question regarding the battery tender.

First of all, I have the Battery Tender Jr...but I just found one a Die Hard at Sears for $19. Which one is better to use do you think?
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871219000P
Don't bother with the Sears charger. It's not sophisticated like the Battery Tender. I had one on my motorhome and it ruined the battery and melted itself. I have Battery Tenders on 3 cars and 3 motorcycles.

zero said:
Also, with 2 bikes, do I need to have 2 battery tenders?
Battery Tender makes a dual charger but it's cheaper and more convenient to buy individual chargers for each vehicle. The price of a Battery Tender is much cheaper than a new battery! I say get 1 for each bike and leave them connected until you're ready to ride them again. That's what I do and my vehicles never sit longer than 3-4 weeks at the longest 'cause we ride year 'round here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback!

I can't see how battery tenders would be too sophisticated in design, but I'll take your word on the Sears Die Hard charger.

I wish I could ride year round here...luckily my work takes me to the west coast pretty often where I have friends who own extra bikes.

Any 2nd opinions??

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thanks for the feedback!

I can't see how battery tenders would be too sophisticated in design, but I'll take your word on the Sears Die Hard charger.
My pleasure.
The original battery in my 2002 VTX 1800 with 38,000 miles was getting so it wouldn't hold a full charge more than a couple days. Then I installed a Battery Tender and it reconditioned the battery as they claim. I was going to buy a new battery but found I don't need to now. My 7 year old battery works like new! :D I really was amazed!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just my opinion but I think the Battery Tender is an invaluable tool if you're a motorcyclist that can't ride everyday. I always keep mine hooked up and have never had a problem, great preventitive maintenance. I have no relation to the company other than I'm a satisfied longterm customer. Check *bay I just picked one up for a xmas present $44.44 free shipped brand new from ralco1201. The Jr model is less, he has multitaps too.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Use the Battery Tender Jr that you already have. If the batteries are in good condition, you only need to put them on it for a day or so each, about once a month.

You don't need two, and you don't need to leave it connected all the time. If it makes you feel better to leave it connected, just rotate it between the two batteries every week or two.

·
Registered
613 Posts
the battery tender has a chip in it that is designed to charge the battery to a certain point and then turn off. When the battery(s) drop beyond a certain point it kicks on until it has charged again. They make a dual and even up to 5 chargers i think chargers on one machine that will work to keep the batterys charged up. Definitely, worth the money they cost. It will help in saving the battery and making it last longer as well.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Youneed 2 tenders for 2 bikes. They dont have to be expensive. I use the NAPA ones that just plug into the wall and I hardwire them to the batteries. They must be three phase tenders with a float mode and they you can leave them plugged in all winter and let the tender mind the batteries.

Also if you have AGM batteries in your bikes you cannot use a regular charger. You must use a voltage regulated charger which that sears one, the NAPA one I use and other models are. They regulate the voltage down to 14.4 volts and you wont melt your fiberglass acid sponges in the agm battery. Triumph uses agms in almost all of there models after about 2005.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would disagree with the gentleman above and say you only need one charger for two bikes.

I have two bikes, I just plug each one in for a week at a time alternatly. A bike with an alarm will need topping up more frequently then one without but both can go for a couple of weeks with no problem.

Pete

·
Registered
5,524 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
More than you'll ever want to know about the BatteryTender.

http://batterytender.com/includes/languages/english/resources/faq.pdf

Bob
bottom line: one can't go wrong spending the extra few dollars on the genuine article, regardless of which is chosen.

my .02: if you have multiple bikes, buy one of the deltran (battery tender) units that allows for multi-tending.

changing the lead(s) from bike to bike is a pain in the ass. what's more, in the colder weather batteries will drop their charge more quickly, and you may miss a random warm morning as a result of it.

add that to multiple extension cords or leads running across the floor...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I'm big on the Battery Tender. It's mostly for the old Duc, but I bought an extra quick connect harness for the Bonneville. The latter hardly needs it (green light in a couple of minutes), but it's ridden a lot and winterizing is not much of an issue here.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Battery tenders, one each, keep my T100 and GSF1200S starting up 12 months out of the year. For the investment, buy one for each steed, and your stable wakes up nicely during the dark winter months, and never overcooks during the summer ones. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks like you've gotten all the info needed. I'd just like to reinforce all battery chargers are not the same. The Battery Tender will more than pay for itself in battery life. Other simple tapered charge type do not work as well. I have 3, One on my diesel tractor full time ( 1300 ccamps), one on a car and the Jr which I switch between motorcycles and gardentractor snow blower. The fellow who said once a week is more less what I do. Works great

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.
I've got 2 Battery Tender Jr's that I'll use on my (3) motorcycles.
I figure that'll suffice for now.

As for the Sears Die Hard chargers, I returned them yesterday.
Talking to the local Triumph dealer here in Chicago, he didn't speak to highly of Die Hard batteries in motorcycles, and said he had no problems with the Battery Tender brand, as well as a Yuasa brand he had for about $40.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I own two battery tenders but , in retrospect, they were a waste of money. All you need do is give your battery a boost once every month or so and it'll be good to go in the spring.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Maintaining a consistent charge with a Battery Tender imparts much less stress to a battery and it will last many times longer than when the battery is allowed to significantly discharge and require re-charging. A battery Tender sends a very low current to the battery which yields a great deal less stress than even a 3 amp charger does. It also shuts itself off when the battery reaches full charge which is impossible to keep track of with a standard charger. A battery tender is cheap insurance. The battery in my VTX 1800 is 7 years old and still works like new! :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maintaining a consistent charge with a Battery Tender imparts much less stress to a battery and it will last many times longer than when the battery is allowed to significantly discharge and require re-charging. A battery Tender sends a very low current to the battery which yields a great deal less stress than even a 3 amp charger does. It also shuts itself off when the battery reaches full charge which is impossible to keep track of with a standard charger. A battery tender is cheap insurance. The battery in my VTX 1800 is 7 years old and still works like new! :D
Lead acid batteries have a very low self discharge rate and a high tolerance for overcharging. I own a charger that can be set for 2 amps and has an auto shut off (commonly available). My bike's battery only takes a minimum charge every 4-6 weeks (sometimes none and sometimes a few minutes @ 2 amps).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts