Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a battery tender harness on a Tbird 1600? I want to do this but was wondering if there were any pitfalls or problems to avoid. :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nothing to it, just make sure you get everything back tight. I brought mine out right behind the coolant tank. That makes it just right to hook up electric vest in winter.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got my harness today...install took 10 minutes. I brought it out below the left side panel because my plug is on the left in my garage and I don't like anything hanging near the drive belt. :eek:

·
Registered
560 Posts
U don't need no stinkin' battery tender if you ride all winter!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Really? Ok tell me this: i have three bikes, one i ride daily (all year) one i ride weekends, and one my son "rides" when the temperature, barometric pressure, sun's position in the sky, and his feelings are all in perfect alignment. I put a tender on his bike. Should I switch it over to the weekend bike once in a while? put all 3 on a separate tender?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Got an XTREME battery charger, a desulfating charger. I keep it on the bike ALL the time I am not riding it. Also works on lawn mower batteries and other small batteries. Will actually extend the life of your battery quite a bit. 812 pounds curb weight of a Thunderbird SE A1 is a LOT to have to push, anywhere, any time. Trying to minimize that thankless activity.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? Ok tell me this: i have three bikes, one i ride daily (all year) one i ride weekends, and one my son "rides" when the temperature, barometric pressure, sun's position in the sky, and his feelings are all in perfect alignment. I put a tender on his bike. Should I switch it over to the weekend bike once in a while? put all 3 on a separate tender?
Probably wouldn't matter. I leave mine plugged in most all the time because I'm lazy. :D But usually in the Summer I'll plug it in if I think I am not going to ride for 3 or 4 days. I like having the battery fully charged. Plus, you can get a Deltran tender jr. for $25 on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got an XTREME battery charger, a desulfating charger. I keep it on the bike ALL the time I am not riding it. Also works on lawn mower batteries and other small batteries. Will actually extend the life of your battery quite a bit. 812 pounds curb weight of a Thunderbird SE A1 is a LOT to have to push, anywhere, any time. Trying to minimize that thankless activity.
I'm not sold on the desulfating chargers. All of my friends who use them still replaced their battery at 4 years. I always replace mine after 4 years as well. But without a tender at about 3 years many batteries start to get weak. So, the tender will buy you another 1-2 years of strong battery life.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Installing the tender dongle is easy.. just remove the seat and the battery is right there. I ran my to the left cover too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts