Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Sprint ST and the stock battery is toast. I want the heaviest duty battery I can find but am lost as to which one will hold up and last the longest. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
Try this one...

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/default.aspx?pageid=510

ETX 12 fits the Sprint.

I have had one in my '07 for about 12mths, works well.

Calliway is the resident battery guru... and there is also another post or 2 floating about somewhere...

Hope this helps.

Cheers, G :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
+1 on the Deka. I have a Spectro Electric/battery company (supply) here local that carries Deka. Was cheaper than other options too if I remember right.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You can only fit a BCI Group 12 in the Sprint which is one of the bummers. It could really use a BCI 14 with about 200 cca's. So yeah, make sure you buy something of really good quality, that is the only way the smaller battery will last.

My recommendation is the Deka Power Sports ETX12. Also any time its going to sit longer than a week plug it into a tender.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
And as a side note, has anyone got more than two years out of a 1050 Battery ?? they don't seem to last, either it's the vibes or the lied down mounting ... :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yeah you can get over two years as long as you use a tender. The bike could use another 20-40 cca's but the batteries physical size just doesn't allow it. They could make a Group 12 battery with 200-220ccas but the plates would be so close together that the battery would kill itself from heat.

Most cars with 1000ccs have 350-400cca batteries. (not many 1000cca cars around anymore but Pontiac Fireflies and Chevy Sprints were 995cc vehicles)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I still have the original battery on my 05 Sprint.

I am thinking of a little preventive maintenance and purchasing a new one soon.

Tim :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
You can only fit a BCI Group 12 in the Sprint which is one of the bummers. It could really use a BCI 14 with about 200 cca's. So yeah, make sure you buy something of really good quality, that is the only way the smaller battery will last.

My recommendation is the Deka Power Sports ETX12. Also any time its going to sit longer than a week plug it into a tender.

Good luck.
Was looking at Yuasa batteries and they have one with 200 cca that was used in the Sprint ST and RS 955, the YTX14-BS. This one has the same length and width as the Sprint 1050 YTX12-BS but is 15mm (1/2 inch) higher, don't know how tight of place there is myself but do you think that would fit in a 1050 Sprint?

You can have a look at the batteries here, pick a battery from the drop-down list.
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery_search.asp

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Lazurus,
It probably won't fit. A BCI group 14 is to tall. The battery in your Sprint (05+) lays on its side so the added height, when laid down on the side, actually makes it too wide to fit in the battery box.

·
Registered
120 Posts
When I had multiple battery failures I switched to a Powersorce WPZ14S.

250 CCA!!

The Battery has enough power to start the bike in the coldest weather I have been willing to ride in (about 30 degrees F).

I killed two Yuasa batteries within a year trying to start the bike in cold weather.

·
Registered
554 Posts

250 CCA!!

The Battery has enough power to start the bike in the coldest weather I have been willing to ride in (about 30 degrees F).

I killed two Yuasa batteries within a year trying to start the bike in cold weather.
Nice one. Yuasa equivalent would be YTZ14S and has 230 CCA. These two is actually a little lower than the 1050 original size battery, same width and length.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts

250 CCA!!

Now what is "cold weather" exactly?:D

Sorry boys, sometimes I can't help myself!

DaveM:rolleyes:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Excuse my ignorance here, but i see the interest seems to be getting a battery with a higher CCA rating, ie 250 etc. A higher CCA rating will not necessarily mean that it will last longer will it? Assuming the CCA of the stock or standard replacement battery is sufficient to crank the engine over without overtaxing and totally discharging the battery, I'm wondering why a battery with a higher CCA would necessarily last longer? just askin...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Here's an explanation I found.

"The cold cranking ampere (CCA) rating refers to the number of amperes a battery can support for 30 seconds at a temperature of 0°F until the battery voltage drops to 1.20 volts per cell, or 7.20 volts for a 12V battery. Therefore, a 12V battery that carries a rating of 600 CCA tells us that the battery will provide 600 amperes for 30 seconds at 0°F before the voltage falls to 7.20V."

The starter motor use a lot of amperes when you crank the engine and you need a battery that can supply all the power the starter motor want. The standard battery is fine when it is fresh, fully loaded and warm outside (25C/77F). The battery will degrade with age and use and it will loose some power (in layman's terms it won't last as long) and you will notice this very fast when you crank the engine. This effect will also be noticed when it is cold outside, the colder it gets the less the power gets. At 10C/50F you have lost roughly 15-20% of the power making the engine crank slower and that can be enough to not get the engine to start. This is why you can have the bike (or car) start just fine in the warm garage but it won't start later out on the cold street.
As I understand it the Sprint engine has to reach a certain RPM before the ignition starts to give a spark. It seems like the standard battery is very close to it's limit in the best conditions and when it gets older or it's cold outside there's just not enough power left. With a battery with high CCA you will have a bigger margin of usable power when you crank the engine and even when the battery gets older or it is cold outside you will stay above the limit and the engine will start.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks Lazarus.
That makes sense with the assumption that the ST1050s battery is marginal at best of conditions, plus needing a certain cranking RPM to even fire does make the case for a battery with a bit more "overhead" to handle the chores. With your explanation i can see why a slightly aged battery (1+ years) in the Sprint may in some cases (colder weather) simply not have the reserve capacity to start. That follows then that the desire for a higher CCA battery makes sense.

·
Registered
329 Posts

250 CCA!!
Just did a bit more research, Power Source also makes a WPZ12S (AGM) battery of the same dimensions and CCA (6.0 in. L, 3.43 in. Width, 4.38 in. Height, 250 CCA) as the WPZ14S menitoned above. also same terminal location, it appears this should fit the newer Sprints. The one difference between the two was the amp hour rating, 11.2 for the 14s vs 11.0 for the 12S, don't believe that should make much of a difference, also the 12S is a bit cheaper. Source was Ebatteriestogo.com. Disclaimer: I have no idea what the quality of these batteries are.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts