Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting to the point where I need to replace my OEM battery, so I'm looking at options.

Motobatt seems highly recommended but I'm curious about the different models that are available (in general for all battery brands) and the different amp rating those models have .

Is there likely to be an issue with choosing a battery that has a higher amp rating than the OEM -- the bike will only draw as much current as it needs. The answer seems to be no but would like to confirm.

This will also be my first time filling and charging a dry battery. Is a battery tender jr acceptable for the initial charge? Just leave it hooked up over night and then drop it in the bike.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
Yes you can put a larger ah rated battery in. The only limit is the space you have. As long as it fits you're good.

Last time I looked at a JR they only put out like 500mah which isn't enough. 1ah is about the minimum. You want to charge at 10% of the batteries rating for at least 10 hours. So a 9ah battery would be 900mah. However most cheap chargers are very optimistic about their actual output. For a maintenance style charger I would say 1-1.5ah would be a good range for the initial charge.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
may be a good time to upgrade to a lithium battery! they seem to hold a charge longer and are much lighter than lead acid batteries.
I'm considering it but tempted to use the extra $100 on other tools, an oil change and goodies for the bike :grin2:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
IMO lead-acid batteries are from the stone-age. I got the 18Ah Shorai and the dedicated tender/charger about 3 years ago (around $250) and love it. Only weighs a couple of pounds and and keeps the charge much longer than a lead-acid battery. Lithium batteries can be sluggish in cold weather so I got the 18Ah instead of the standard 14Ah. The tender/charger plugs into a separate cable to a 5 pin port on the battery and shuts down automatically on full charge, although I mostly use it as a tender for storage in winter. With reasonable care it can last 10 years. Heavy lead-acid batteries may be ok for cars, but a light powerful lithium battery is a no-brainer for motorcycles. The Shorai is a lithium-IRON motorcycle battery, not lithium ion so it does not have any fire hazard.

·
Premium Member
8,995 Posts
The Shorai is a lithium-IRON motorcycle battery, not lithium ion so it does not have any fire hazard.
That's an interesting distinction. I've been toying with the thought of going lithium, but haven't looked into that seriously yet. Part of my hesitation was ignorance - afraid of burning my house to the ground. Thanks for the quick edjumacashun.

:thumbsup

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
IMO lead-acid batteries are from the stone-age. I got the 18Ah Shorai and the dedicated tender/charger about 3 years ago (around $250) and love it. Only weighs a couple of pounds and and keeps the charge much longer than a lead-acid battery. Lithium batteries can be sluggish in cold weather so I got the 18Ah instead of the standard 14Ah. The tender/charger plugs into a separate cable to a 5 pin port on the battery and shuts down automatically on full charge, although I mostly use it as a tender for storage in winter. With reasonable care it can last 10 years. Heavy lead-acid batteries may be ok for cars, but a light powerful lithium battery is a no-brainer for motorcycles. The Shorai is a lithium-IRON motorcycle battery, not lithium ion so it does not have any fire hazard.
It came down to cost for me. I paid $35 for my battery,if it only last 2-3 years it'll still be half the cost of the shorai set up over 10 years. Weight is not an issue for me. I've had lead acid batteries last 5-10+ years. The battery in my ninja is going on 10 seasons this year.

Now when I put together a track dedicated bike that will most likely be getting a lithium battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
510 Posts
It came down to cost for me. I paid $35 for my battery,if it only last 2-3 years it'll still be half the cost of the shorai set up over 10 years. Weight is not an issue for me. I've had lead acid batteries last 5-10+ years. The battery in my ninja is going on 10 seasons this year.

Now when I put together a track dedicated bike that will most likely be getting a lithium battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
That's pretty much where I am as well. For a street bike, I think a lead acid is fine. It's only a savings of ~3 lbs or so. That's less than half a gallon of fuel.
10 seasons is a pretty impressive lifespan. The factory Yuasa in my FZ6 is on its 8th season though and I don't even put it on a tender over the winter! The Triumph may be harder on batteries as the headlights come on prior to starting which increases the starting load on the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turns out, MotoBatt only sells factory-activated batts. Have any of you had issues with this particular brand. I'm a little concerned that these are activated months (or years) in advance and just sit in storage. Hoping that they activate upon order... may go the Yuasa + battery charger route just to be 100% sure that its fresh.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I put a Yuasa in mine. I don't remember who told me, but they said to stay away from Lithium. At the time I was still inexperienced and just got a new replacement for the old battery. Didn't feel like researching Lithiums. Maybe next time I will go Lithium but it all depends how long my new lead acid battery lasts. I put mine on the tender any chance I get. Easy to do, so I do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts