Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody,

Starting to get cold in Knox! I'm trying to think ahead about storing my 05 Speedmaster here in the next couple of weeks for the colder months. I heard taking the battery out is good practice, is this true? If so, what tools will I need to pop that sucker out?

Thanks,

Brax Z.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Brax!

If you will be storing in unheated space without electricity, I would remove the battery and keep it indoors. There is always some parasitic current draw, and normal battery discharge, so voltage will drop over the winter. As voltage drops, current flow (amperage) will increase and the likelihood of oxidation and corrosion at electrical junctions will rise correspondingly. And if your battery discharges too deeply, it will be prone to freezing, or suffering internal damage. In the spring, troubleshooting a bad battery and/or corroded connections can ruin that first warm weekend when you should be out riding with friends.

On the other hand, if your storage is at least dry and has electricity, a battery tender will keep your electrical system happy and you can safely leave the battery installed. There are other storage considerations you should undertake, but you only asked about removing the battery. (And you probably won't need anything more than a 10mm wrench once you have access to the battery.)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What he said ^
It took three different tools for me to remove my battery. Combination of Torx & Hex and maybe a Phillips as I vaguely remember. I replaced all the fasteners to the battery with SS Phillips so all I needed was a single common screw driver. Yes, I have had to get to the battery a few times over the years :laugh2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I'm putting it in a garage, so it will be dry and somewhat warm, but I think I'm going to end up just removing the battery. Any other storage tips you may have would be greatly appreciated, and thank you for getting back to me!

As a side note, Stevie, I'm also originally from NH. Its great to see the community stretches all the way back home!

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Even if you take the battery out and store indoors, you need to at least charge the battery once a month during storage. Not good to let a small motorcycle battery discharge. If for only two months, then probably not needed, but chargers don't cost that much these days.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
As a side note, Stevie, I'm also originally from NH. Its great to see the community stretches all the way back home!
Stretches a lot farther than here! Back to Triumph's roots in England, around to Oz and back again. Lots of great places in between, too.

I'm in Londonderry. Where do you hail from?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts