Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 18 months it looks like my battery has died. I put a lot of miles on the bike, so I'm not real happy that the battery didn't last longer. The bike turns over, but not fast enough to get the SOB to crank. I tried a trickle charger, but that didn't do the job either. If I try to jump the bike off with jumper cables and my car, will I blow the sucker up? My car just has a standard 12 volt system in it. Thanks for any help you guys can give me :???:

·
Registered
134 Posts
was just checking my battery to see if it is 6volt or 12 volt but it doesent say (recent first time sprint owner otherwise I'd know by now) I have jump started my last couple bikes off of cars but I knew they were 12 volt batteries and I never had any problems - to be centain I'd call your local dealer because even though i've done it before does not mean it's recommended or nessasarly safe
make sure you respond when you get an educated answer
I would think worse case would be blowing a fuse (assuming its a 12 volt system)

·
Registered
861 Posts
STOP!!!
I don't think you're supposed to do that!
Do not jump your bike from your car.
You can use a car charger to get the battery going, but that's it.
The trickle charger is slow, but the automotive charger can get you going in about an hour.
Anybody else agree?

[ This message was edited by: airrider03 on 2007-02-19 11:21 ]

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's 12 volt. I wouldn't jump it though. Too many amps. A 2 amp charge should get you going in 30 minutes to an hour. If not, it's probably time for a new battery. Get a sealed battery. The vented batteries leak and remove paint from your swing arm. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
499 Posts
12 volts is 12 volts. As long as you connect plus to plus and minus to minus, you're OK.

But if your battery has given up the ghost (and if the trickle charger doesn't charge it, it probably has), I would say it's defective. My '02 still has its original battery.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I have jumped my 2006 sprint st with a jump battery box that car dealers use as well as jumping it with a car battery with jumpers to the bike...either one will work without damage...just hook it up correctly they are both 12 volt systems. :hammer:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
BEWARE - buddy of mine did this with his 2006 GSX-R and absolutely fried the computer. If it can't get charged with an Optimate or the like it is time for a new one. Take it to your local parts store and they will usually give you a test for free.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I couldn't start my '06 with 5000 miles on the clock, because of a dead battery.
I charged it over night +12 hours, and the bike came back to life. It takes some time, but I think you just need to charge it.
Do not jump it... you MIGHT be ok, but you also MIGHT blow the computer... I wouldn't try... And yes, of course it's 12V

[ This message was edited by: Palle on 2007-02-19 15:46 ]

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 06 Sprint back in December. It sat in the garage and after it got cold wouldn't crank fast enough to start. I called my dealer up and he said to bring in the battery and he would test it. To cut to the chase my dealer put in a new battery at no charge to me, and highly recommended to me to install a battery tender. And all has been well ever since. Except for this ***** weather.

Brian

P.S. I wouldn't jump it! I 've heard the horror stories about fryin' computers too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
As board members know, I have had a few problems with my battery recently. After trying to push the***** around, nearly giving myself a coronary, I have jump started it from a car with no adverse effects.

Kev :-D

·
Registered
259 Posts
As someone said, 12 Volts is 12 Volts. You can hook any size battery you want to it and it will be fine. The jumper battery will only deliver as much current as the starter asks for, no more.

Here's the down side. If you get wrong, reversed polarity, short to ground etc., the bigger battery can cause a lot more damage.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My 2000 sprint has 55,000km (just sold it) and still on the original battery. It has never been put on charge and never failed to start the bike. Not bad for 7 years, must be just a matter of luck.
PS. I don't expect to get the same life out of my 05/06 sprint as it always takes a few seconds to start therefor putting a lot more strain on the battery.
:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
On 2007-02-20 04:25, gavinb wrote:
My 2000 sprint has 55,000km (just sold it) and still on the original battery. It has never been put on charge and never failed to start the bike. Not bad for 7 years, must be just a matter of luck.
Or, maybe you dont have to lock your bike away for the winter ? I mean, I dont drive from October to March...

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I've had to jump my bike several cold mornings. I used my car.

Just don't turn the car on!!!
Repeat

Do not turn on the car!!!

It has enough to turn the bike over. Easy. Never hurt it a bit. :-D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI...I spoke to my dealer and he said he wouldn't risk jumping my battery with my car...too many variables involved. The ironic part is that after tearing my bike half apart they discovered that I had a tank of bad gas. As soon as I pick up my bike, I'm going to burn down a certain gas station. That tank of gas cost me around $150. :mad:

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I agree with those who say" Car jumping is fine as long as you don't start the car otherwise you have the cars altinator and the bikes altinator fighting over the bikes battery, The cars alt is stronger and could fry yours.

I've been jumping my lawn tractor off my car for about 8 yrs with no adverse effects.

I actually made up a set of jumper cables that I carry on the bike just in case. :cool: :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts