Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to mount a digital battery monitor on my Tiger...any suggestions on make, model and water proof capability?? So far I have found Visual Instruments..looks great for airplanes, but $100. Only other has been marteltesttools.com the QM100V, water resistent.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got one

I searched the net and found a chap had fitted a 5 function digital display to a ST 1100.

I contacted the supplier and ordered said item. It provides a clock, a timer. a voltmeter, a dual temp gauge and an LED Ice alert.

I purchased from California Sport Touring Inc and paid $ 21.48 plus $ 11 shipping to the UK. The $32 in total was less than the purchase of a voltmeter module which I would need to cut the dash for. This is all in a nice neat box which I intend to velcro to the top of the dash behind the screen.

Good product will take some pics when fitted :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Silverstripes,
Thanks for the info - does the thermometer read in celsius as well as farenheit?
Please let us know what you think of it when you've used it for a while.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey, Silverstripes.
I've just checked out that gizmo you gave the link to. It's seems hard to believe that you can get all that for so little cash. There's no doubt about it - it'a gadget and I want one.
When you get it, can you let us in on how tricky it is to wire up, etc?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think they're cool so I just ordered a pair (I may give one as a present). They're worth the risk at that price. Wiring up should be easy, I think I'll fit a small relay switched from the ignition circuit and run the power straight to the battery. I'd do this to get an accurate voltage reading. I find the voltage drop you get using the bike circuitry is too great.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi guys

I have yet to wire it but its just 3 wires.

Continuous +
Switched +
Ground

In terms of temp it is switchable to C and F.

I cant fault it :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Its fitted Take a look
<BR>
<BR>I attached it to the top of the dash with a very small alloy bracket. I removed a case screw and used a longer screw to hold the bracket to the meter.
<BR>
<BR>I then mounted the bracket with two very small bolts into the plastic dash top. Three connections and thats it.
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>The temp works with an inbuilt and external sensor. The is to enable inside and outside temp if fitted to a car. I removed the plastic fixing sucker and then fed the cable under the tank and the sensor was a push fit in a thread on top of the gearbox. I can now switch from air temp to engine temp (not water temp).
<BR>
<BR>The first picture is before I put the screen on.
<BR>

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>The second picture is the finished job and the pic was taken with the engine running. You get 13.9 v and three led's on the top to indicate strong battery. If you turn the ign on and put lights on beam you get a low batt alarm till the engine starts, all very clever.
<BR>

<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>All in all a neat job and just $34 about £ 23 . The only down side is it is on permanently. You could fit a switch but then you will need to reset the clock each time.

[ This message was edited by: Silverstripes on 2007-01-21 12:57 ]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Very nice! I'd be interested to know how well it handles the kind of moisture it may get subjected to in an external environment if it was originally intended to be used in a car but, as you say, at that price it's definitely worth the risk.

The only down side is it is on permanently. You could fit a switch but then you will need to reset the clock each time.
I suspect it probably pulls no more power than the existing clock as long as no LEDs are permanently lit, and it's almost certain to pull less power than any anti-theft alarm.

By the way, I'm glad to see your workshop has the most useful tool known to man; a tea mug of decent proportions :razz:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Looks good, I think I'll get one. You can't really go wrong at that price.

BTW what's the LED between the fuel & temperature gauge for? I've put one there to show me when the fan's on (being paranoid.....)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Iansoady

The LED you asked about is a simple flashing LED to mimic an alarm being fitted.

I wired it to a live feed and an earth which drops out (Not connected) when the ignition is on.

That way as soon as I switch off it starts flashing and runs until I switch on.

It does act as a deterrent from morons who like to fiddle when shes parked and left.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I just fitted a voltmeter from digitalmeter.com. Easy to install, it fit in the hole for the heated grip switch. It's at a jaunty angle, and only required four tiny holes to mount the trim frame. I did have to get longer screws than what came with it. I wired into the accessory line under the cowl and I suspect the voltage reading is a bit low, but I think it will give me a picture of what's electrically going on. My PIAA 910's cause a voltage drop of 0.1V but everythig else seems to have very little effect. I haven't tried my Widder vest and gloves, yet, but it looks like all systems are "GO"!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts