Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noobie Question.

Have a tiger 1050 2009, which is started exhibiting issues with re-starting after recent stops. E.g. park up to check phone....then did not restart.
A half-hearted cough and nothing.....however leave for 20 minutes would start.

Suggestion was "duff" battery, which was duly replaced and all seemed good for the next week.
Then it started doing it again.

Bought an Oxford battery charger / manager and when checking the battery does seem to be holding a charge.

a) what should I be looking for?
b) portable charger (for backup), any recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wouldn't know about a portable battery charger, but to keep an eye on the battery (and alternator) I find the Gammatronix monitor invaluable. It's inexpensive yet very well made both software and hardware.

Link here.

(I have no business with these folks just a happy customer!!).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a portable charger...FAB solution - all be it a "get out of jail".

Still trying to get to the bottom of why, battery is not charging (quickly??), as I have been told - there is a charge reaching the battery.

As this is a recent thing. And have changed battery (now on second replacement).
I suspect there is something more fundamental going on here.

Any ideas? Gratefully received.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
You need to check the charging system of the bike. Your portable charger is not the answer. There are many threads on checking the charging system. Basically, charge the battery overnight so it has a full charge. Start the bike and let warm up a bit to go off fast idle and onto regular idle rpm. Check the battery voltage at idle and then maybe at 3-4Krpm. You should see 13+VDC at idle and up to 14VDC at the higher rpm. If not, then it could be the R/R or the connector from the stator to the R/R or even the stator. To check the stator, unplug the connector to the R/R, then using your meter set to Ohms, resistance, the red probe of the meter on one of the three stator pins in the connector and the black probe to battery ground. There should be zero continuity or infinite resistance, an open circuit. The stator should not be grounded. You are checking the pins on the stator side of the connector, not the R/R side.

How much charge is reaching the battery is crucial. Who told you about the charge reaching the battery? Did a mechanic test the charging system for you?

·
Registered
376 Posts
A common problem of not starting after having been run is apparently when warm the battery leads aren't up to the job of carrying the load required to start the bike. There's a guy on the facebook page that make's upgraded cable's and by all accounts it cure's the problem. https://www.facebook.com/groups/830406960331369/?fref=nf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check the battery type. Triumph upgraded Tiger battery to YTX14-BS around that time. Earlier battery type were too weak, especially if there is an alarm fitted. I had the same woes and an upgraded fixed it.

Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Paul,

Thanks for this.
I have had to change out the battery on a previous occasion, and bought what was recommended for the bike. And the issue still persisted.
Strange that other bikes, including my previous 955, never exhibited this issue.
I will take on board what you have said about the change of battery recommendation.
Many thanks for the feed back - much appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Felony,

Battery on this bile and all my previous, were always plugged in at night to a battery management system.
All previous bikes did not exhibit this.
After a run, the battery levels are always down to just below high. Yet the bike when parked up, after a run, tends to caught once and then not attempt to turn over.

I did ask, and was shown by a mechanic, at idle, there was a good charge hitting the battery....but this was a "look see it is charging".....
I have booked the bike in for a full service and will ask this to be fully investigated.

I have made a note of your suggestion(s) as this is all very good / sound advice for me to learn / apply.

Many thanks for taking time to assist with my bike woes.

Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Cloudy,

Many thanks. I had written that I was looking into this at the moment.

However as a Luddite, I do "unsocial media" .. :¬))
Life choice after many, many years in IT.

However much appreciated.
I will look into an upgraded replacement loom, and see what I can come up with.

Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, finally, finally hopefully got this fixed.
Stator was tested and was good.
The regulator / rectifier was shown to be faulty.

Working intermittently....I believe.

Currently been advised to fit the Triumph OEM (at twice the price of an "alternative" after market) part.....
Suppose paying for the warranty on the part.

And been assure that this will resolve all the issues.

Will update as and when....

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah! the joys.

Was aff Grid for a bit or twa..........
Stuff happening and not enough time to moan about it.

Anyhoo!

Investigations .........showed up that the stator - while working (aye right).
And the issue was with the rectifier.
This was taken off and checked (faffed)
Got the official Trium£h part and it worked a treat.

Bike was tested again, investigations .........showed up that the stator - while working (aye right) - was not pushing the full charge back to the battery.

Cover off, showed one coil burnt and another slightly singed.
A replacement was sourced of eBay for a fraction of a production part.

Bike now charging // starting // shouting like new lease of life..........

Here's hoping.
:wink2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Was aff Grid for a bit or twa.......... well a few months.......
Stuff happening and not enough time to moan about it.

Anyhoo!
I now appear to have a working bike again.
Bike now charging // starting // shouting like new lease of life..........

My intentions as of ...when I finish my University.........is to get my hands more dirty than they have been in the past.
And do more to sort these things out myself.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts