Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to whip the battery off my '09 for a couple of days. Does anyone know how long the instruments hold their data (odometer) for after removal of the battery?......And will it affect the alarm? (Triumph Datatool).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Pretty sure as soon as that bad boy is disconnected all data other than your ODO will be lost. I have had my battery out for as little as 1 min on my 07 and all data was lost.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Does anyone know how long the instruments hold their data (odometer) for after removal of the battery?......And will it affect the alarm? (Triumph Datatool).
It will hold the odometer forever; the trip however will reset to zero immediately.
If alarm is disarmed, it will have no affect - if armed, it will trigger.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This is somewhat tangential but if your battery will be out for a few days, it helps to hook it to a battery tender. Whatever arcing and sparking and initial current draw the bike does when first reconnected seems to draw enough out of the battery to make that first start a little sluggish.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I regularly disconnect my SIII battery, preferring to hook it up to my bench charging platform when the bike is not in use. I can honestly say I have never experienced any "arching and sparking" when reconnecting it! If the battery is correctly connected carefully -- ground line last -- and there are no lurking electrical/wiring problems with the bike, the initial current draw should be minimal, if anything.

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
... Whatever arcing and sparking and initial current draw the bike does when first reconnected seems to draw enough out of the battery to make that first start a little sluggish.
Certainly should be no arcing/sparking when reconnecting - as Deaono suggests the current will be a few mA at most (to the clock);
and if battery is in good order and is at decent charge level when removed, should easily hold its charge for couple of weeks without having to be on a tender.
If it discharges just from sitting over that time, battery probably past its best

·
Registered
356 Posts
"Arcing and sparking" is a gross exaggeration, sorry. Mine always seems a little weak cranking if I've been repeatedly connecting / disconnecting it but it could be my imagination.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts