Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black and decker float charger took a crap on me and I think is the reason my RD350 won't hold a charge. Due to the delicate nature of the ignition systems on older Daytona's I was wondering what a good long lasting float charger would be. My dad loves his Battery Tender Jr, I really don't want to take chances with my Daytona.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I use C-Tek smart charger. (C-tek is a sponsor on this site) Its connections are hard wired to the bike and I plug the S3 in each time I get home from a ride for trouble free start ups. Even better since switching to an AGM battery as well

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I have a BT Jr. just like your dad. It's always worked for me.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I use the JR. on my BMW R/75, as did the previous owner. The battery is always ready for that difficult, especially in cool weather, first start of the day.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Good article from wing world has fallen off the radar except for archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/20060819...ives/august2002/magazine/article/battery.html

Worth struggling through if you have time. They seem to like little Yuasa, which is cheap, and if I buy any more chargers this will probably be the one I stick with as it is compact and the box stays on the wall. Maybe a BT Waterproof 800, depending on where you are going to use it. Most of the units are not waterproof.

I think the bottom line is any of the non-junk chargers (optimate, yuasa, deltran) used all the time is light-years better than not doing anything. And a sealed maintenance free is also the way to go.

And I tried a Black and Decker a while back and thought it fell into the junk category and it's already dead. Interestingly I had a BT Plus go up in smoke last month, and felt lucky I was standing nearby caught it before anything else happened. It was replaced under warranty after paying a fee and postage which amounted to about half what new $ was.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-battery-charger/optimate-4/

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm using the C-Tek smart charger as well (It gets a wee bit cold up here in the Great White North) and it has done a great job so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts