Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a booster pack to use for my car if needed. I know these will work for MC batteries as well so I'm looking for suggestions from those who own a booster pack. So many on the market from larger units like a tow truck uses to smaller Li type ones. Any input would be appreciated on this subject. Let er rip.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Felony, I have a NOCO GB40 that I really like- my sons have tried to steal if as they got used to it being in Dad's garage. Holds a charge even after sitting for many weeks, has a pretty good punch- 1000 amps. Nicely packaged and it's 100 bucks on Amazon. Started my friend's 454 motor in his boat this past weeekend

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was looking at the GB500 I think. I will have to look into that model.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I tried to find the model I got, but they don't carry it anymore. Regardless, mine also includes a couple USB ports and a wireless charging pad for my phone. I found that very nice when bike/camping for two weeks. I could use the two USB ports to charge my helmet and watch, and the wireless pad to charge my phone all at the same time. And even after they were all charged, I had plenty of juice in the morning if I needed to jump. Then, when I rode all day, I just connected my jump battery to the USB output on the bike and it recharged during the day. :)

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I ordered the GB40 that denoose recommended. It also has USB ports. I'm having a strange issue with my car and don't want to be left stranded and needing a boost from another car. The booster pack should do the job when needed.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I think you'll be pleased with your choice- my son's old Acura Integra had a weird, intermittent parasitic electrical drain and the Noco saved him on a number of occasions. Turned out to be related to an aftermarket alarm system that we eventually disconnected.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A word of caution about storing in your car. A rep from Noco said not to store in a car, especially in very hot weather. Interior temps can cause damage and possibly fires to the unit. They are Li batteries after all. I might just put in the car when out, but store in a garage. I would think not an issue for a bike. More ventilation and air flow. You shouldn't leave pets and children in a parked car with the windows up,nor one of these units. That's what he related when answering about negative comments about the product left in a truck of a car as storage. Although, for colder winter months when probably needed, not an issue to store in the car.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The boat he has is a beast, I don't know much about modern water craft, it's the new trend of "wake surfing" I think, where you fill a ballast tank in the stern with water and ride the wave, rather than being towed by a traditional method. This thing is very high tech and probably mucho $$. I spoke with my friend and he corrected me, the boat is a "Malibu", 23' with a GM supercharged marine lump- 6.2 litre with 606 ft- lbs torque and 607 HP. We will be getting our first ride this weekend...I think I'll bring my helmet...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
A word of caution about storing in your car. A rep from Noco said not to store in a car, especially in very hot weather. Interior temps can cause damage and possibly fires to the unit. They are Li batteries after all. I might just put in the car when out, but store in a garage. I would think not an issue for a bike. More ventilation and air flow. You shouldn't leave pets and children in a parked car with the windows up,nor one of these units. That's what he related when answering about negative comments about the product left in a truck of a car as storage. Although, for colder winter months when probably needed, not an issue to store in the car.
That's certainly good to know, I am going to take mine out of the trunk, charge it and stash it in the garage for the summer at least.

Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
No joke about the fire hazard when these get hot. I recently completed emergency response training for my job in the racing industry. They showed a lithium ion jump battery catching fire after being overheated. It basically became a road flare for about 20 seconds.

That being said, I see them at Costco all the time, and could have used one from time to time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've not heard of "wake surfing" , looks entertaining

The boat he has is a beast, I don't know much about modern water craft, it's the new trend of "wake surfing" I think, where you fill a ballast tank in the stern with water and ride the wave, rather than being towed by a traditional method. This thing is very high tech and probably mucho $$. I spoke with my friend and he corrected me, the boat is a "Malibu", 23' with a GM supercharged marine lump- 6.2 litre with 606 ft- lbs torque and 607 HP. We will be getting our first ride this weekend...I think I'll bring my helmet...

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Entertaining is one word for it. I could think of another but might be banned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts