Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bucked the trend towards higher bars ("ape hangers" per Dolson) and picked up a new set of lower '06 bars and cables from WardenRoss for my '08 Sprint. The install was really quick and easy because all my original cables are retained and seem to fit very well. I've always had low bars on bikes and wanted to put a little more "sport" back into the sport touring Sprint :jiggy:

Results: The bars are about 1.5" lower, which doesn't seem like a lot but it is significant. I find it forces more weight on the hands when moving slower than highway speeds and so is not as comfy around town and stop-and-go traffic Both bars still numb my hands rather quickly though which is something I can't figure out. This is the only bike that does that so I'm blaming it on the angle :Fiddler

One thing I despise about the Sprint is it's porkeriffic weight (even though it's perhaps the lightest bike in the sport-touring segment) :QuitComplaining I use my Ducati daily and save the Sprint for two-up and out-of-town treks, and it seriously feels like a Goldwing after hopping off the Duc, especially around the garage and driveway and very low maneuvering speeds. Somehow, the low bars seemed to remedy some of the top-heavy feel to me. Probably something to do with leverage.

At higher speeds, which is what I use this bike for, the lowbars are delightful :applause: In the twisties, the lower bars ROCK! It just feels so much racier, while dropping my head and shoulders down to that sweet spot of non-turbulent and relative calm behind my Powerbronze double bubble.

So while the higher bars are fine and good, so are the lower ones. Each have strenghs and weaknesses, it just depends on your priorities. (The pic shows the height difference between the two bars)

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
isnt the tank bag all up in your grill now?

Are those clip ons? Can you take a pic of the tripple? Looks good, I just imagine it takes some of the long distance trips down a notch?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Congrats, Dude from Great Lakes!

I'm glad the bar thing went OK.

Comparing the different bikes and the different bars is real entertaining. After I get off my BMW LT, the Sprinty feels like a 10 speed bicycle! Heck, I can push the Sprint around the garage with one hand tied behinds my back! I guess everything is relative to our comparison point in our noggin!

PS - On the angle thing....I am tall with short arms. The Sprint's bar angle fits me like a dream. I can ride her 10 hours while traveling and be pain free at the end of the day. Just lucky, I guess!

Salutations from the deep South!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Nice report elevens, thanks. I have been considering the same change but have had just the concerns you have addressed. Guess I will continue to sit on the fence. Sounds like the swap was easy so may be worth testing down the road.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
isnt the tank bag all up in your grill now?

Are those clip ons? Can you take a pic of the tripple? Looks good, I just imagine it takes some of the long distance trips down a notch?
Here is a link to a thread that has 3 pics of my GPS mount but you can see the triple clamp:

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/113052-zumo-center-mount-installation-2.html

Took another 2-hour ride today and the low bars still seem to work plenty good for long hauls (at least for me). Twisties are a blast!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Loved the bars on my 05 and would never go to the higher ones. Good on for going lower. That is probably the one thing I will do to the Tiger, put a lower black bar on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts