Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a Basket case but the numbers don't seem right. Looks to be a late 60's frame and unit construction motor. The frame has the same number stamped on it as the engine. Frame stamping are low on the side, not as my 500 is. T120R 60058 are the #, can't seem to find a chart that shows that number. can't get pictures till next week. I will keep looking for the year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got pictures of the numbers hope I can post them. This was at a Harley Davison shop.. told them the # were not right. Guy through a fit said " I AM SELLING PARTS" I said the frame is a number part, it is a vehicle with a VIN. He said I could get a builders papers and register it. Sounds like sXXt to me. I asked if I could steal his Harley, grinde off the numbers and register it with a Builder certificate That did not go well. Harley guys don't seem to reasonable.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi
Because you are suspicious that they were stolen, you could be procecuted for receiving of possesing stolen goods, if you bought these.

In my country, you only have to handle stolen goods for it to be an offence.

Ownership is still with the original legitimate owner, if they are stolen, however much you paid.

The Harley shop is either selling stolen items, or, misrepresenting items to increase thier value (matching numbers), he is either a thief or a fraudster.
He does not deserve to run a business.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it is stolen, just unregisterable . They got it out of a barn where they bought another bike. wish I could post the picture of the #. I passed on the deal . If the frame had numbers I think I could have got it for $200 That would have been a good start for a 67 bonnaville.

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
As long as it has never been reported stolen, it can be legally registered with a valid Bill of Sale. Some states are harder than others, some are impossible. In the impossible states, you register them legally through other states like Vermont, with hardly a fuss. AS LONG AS IT'S NOT STOLEN.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
As long as it has never been reported stolen, it can be legally registered with a valid Bill of Sale. Some states are harder than others, some are impossible. In the impossible states, you register them legally through other states like Vermont, with hardly a fuss. AS LONG AS IT'S NOT STOLEN.
Hi GP

Was just curious.
If you register in Vermont, do you have to be a resident of Vermont?

R R

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Hi GP

Was just curious.
If you register in Vermont, do you have to be a resident of Vermont?

R R
No.

I have registered nearly twenty bikes by mail.

The hardest part (for me) is loading up the bike or rolling project resembling a bike, and hauling it down to a nearby State Vehicle Safety Inspection station to have the VIN inspected and the form signed by the inspector.

The second hardest part is writing a check for $45 + 6% of the NADA value of the bike (you must print the NADA page from the internet).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is easy to register a vehicle in Georgia. Bill of sale and an inspection of the thing. The problem with this bike is the VIN number is not a number that triumph used, Plus the original number had been removed from the frame. A new number, clearly not original was stamped in the frame. I don't know if Georgia would know the number dose not exist in Triumph inventory. Harley guys said I could get a builders Cert. as if I had made the frame myself from scratch I suppose. That was a bit to much IF stuff for me. If I just needed a motor I might have bought it

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
You would be buying it from a dealer. He should give you a Bill of Sale. This should absolve you of any consequences over the legality of the bike. You should be able to obtain legal title with the bill of sale in most every State, Georgia included. If not, in what world is an old Triumph not worth $200 ?

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Normally not like that in the U.S. , OCR. Swap meets are full of parts that very well may be hot. I’ve taken frames and motors of which I was unaware of the warmness, no one ever has checked them. Cops are there purely as a deterrent to violence. Saw a guy get beat over the head with a rear sprocket once, what a mess.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
The thing is, enforcement is up to the individual officer. Stolen motorcycles or parts are more trouble than they’re worth , and no cops boss is going to authorize the time required because there’s no glory in it. It isn’t fiscally responsible to spend time on this really minor crime. Writing tickets brings revenue, drug busts get press, the rest is incidental enforcement. Wife worked L.E 30 years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts