Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 97 T595 a couple of weeks ago to fiddle with over the summer. I paid next to nothing for it, and it came with a bunch of cool little carbon nick nacks, an extra motor, almost an entire set of extra bodywork and a Black widow underseat exhaust... I couldn't resist. After I got it home and got some fresh gas and fuel system cleaner through it, it runs better, but I think it really needs the crap kicked out of it over the next few tanks to run all the varnish from the fuel system. Along with fresh plugs, filters, oil, etc, of course.

Anyway, I have a few questions that some a search couldn't answer:

What is the Black Widow exhaust worth? I really don't like the look of the the underseat exhaust, and I REALLY don't like the 8-10 hp it's rumored to hurt me.

Out of curiosity, how similar are the frames from generation to generation between the 595, 955 and 1050? They look externally the same, but I can't imagine that they interchange... How about bodywork (all of it together with mounts, of course)? Suspension? Tanks?

Where might I find a Ron Ayers type online parts outlet that carries Triumph stuff? Bike Bandit does, but their prices are insane, and they say on the site that it takes them as long as 10 days to get parts from Triumph, where the Japanese manufacturers usually take 3 or less.

Aside from ebay, where is a good place to look for a fairing stay and a headlight? Does anybody sell aftermarket stays? Mine is cracked, and the tabs are broken off my headlight. I didn't find out until I got it home that the headlight was held in with bailing wire :mad:.

TIA for any help you guys can give.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought a 97 T595 a couple of weeks ago to fiddle with over the summer. I paid next to nothing for it, and it came with a bunch of cool little carbon nick nacks, an extra motor, almost an entire set of extra bodywork and a Black widow underseat exhaust... I couldn't resist. After I got it home and got some fresh gas and fuel system cleaner through it, it runs better, but I think it really needs the crap kicked out of it over the next few tanks to run all the varnish from the fuel system. Along with fresh plugs, filters, oil, etc, of course.

Anyway, I have a few questions that some a search couldn't answer:

What is the Black Widow exhaust worth? I really don't like the look of the the underseat exhaust, and I REALLY don't like the 8-10 hp it's rumored to hurt me.

Out of curiosity, how similar are the frames from generation to generation between the 595, 955 and 1050? They look externally the same, but I can't imagine that they interchange... How about bodywork (all of it together with mounts, of course)? Suspension? Tanks?

Where might I find a Ron Ayers type online parts outlet that carries Triumph stuff? Bike Bandit does, but their prices are insane, and they say on the site that it takes them as long as 10 days to get parts from Triumph, where the Japanese manufacturers usually take 3 or less.

Aside from ebay, where is a good place to look for a fairing stay and a headlight? Does anybody sell aftermarket stays? Mine is cracked, and the tabs are broken off my headlight. I didn't find out until I got it home that the headlight was held in with bailing wire :mad:.

TIA for any help you guys can give.
Did you buy the red one on craigslist in SF Bay area? The black widow should be worth some good $$ since they are no longer made and a lot of people like them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
vehicular - when you say you are looking for a 'fairing stay' are you looking for the actual 'horns' or 'braces' that bolt up to the headlight housing and to the upper part of each side of the fairing? If so, I have a set in very nice condition that I took off my 2000 Daytona when I stripped all my plastic and I could get them to you pretty cheaply, I'm sure....PM me and let me know if you might need them and I can send you a pic....as for the headlight, I can't help you...sorry.

Sounds like you have a very 'retailable' black widow....they have done pretty well on ebay when I've seen them...if you're looking for a different exhaust (Moto GP low-exit style) and don't mind doing 'a little' fab on your header, a company called WERKES makes some really cool shorty canisters....loud and nice :)

web address is www.competitionwerkes.com

Best of luck with the bike....and when/if you pull the engine, be very careful torquing your mount bolts on reassembly....I found out the hard way, lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for the headlight mount section.

And I really like the M4 1050 GP system and the Mivv. They're super hot.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,790 Posts
I've never found prices better than BikeBandit; and you get 10% off for being a TriumpRAT member. Parts supply speed is about the only drawback of Triumph ownership. They aren't going to get to you as quickly as Honda. But it usually takes less than 10 days.

I used to have a '98 T595. Great bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
....What is the Black Widow exhaust worth? ....
As others have suggested, you have a rare commodity there and as such it should fetch more than typical used systems

The frames are indeed similar - engines for example are transferrable through all the models. Subtle differences in the parts that mount the body panels however - the part that you are most interested in!
Most significant in that theme, is the tank mounting - you have the two vertical mounts that extend off the frame at the front; then of course the tank has that dummy cover on it, under which are your coolant fill/ themostat etc on that model. For a later tank, you could possibly cut off the mounting brackets but would still need a tank mount which isn't there! I'm not sure if/how much clearance there is for the cooling components if you fit a later tank.
At the rear end the subframes are all different - but you could fit the subframe for whatever body style you wanted to integrate. The rub is that the tail section is related to the tank, so you are back to resolving the first issue before you can move forward.
Bottom line - they're not complete bolt-on swaps but do-able if you have the capability.
A lot of people - me included - think the T5 series bodywork was actually the sexiest of them all.
If you have an extra set, be interested in buying one from you - tail, tank & cover.

Oh - exhaust systems are not interchangable between model years so be careful there!
Any slip-on exhaust for 97-01 Speed Triple or Daytona will have common fitment.
At 02 the header/midpipe connection goes up to 54mm and is in different location. No, the headers are not interchangable between your gen & next.

One of the unfortunate things about owning a Triumph - there are NO discount e-tail spares companies that carry Triumph parts - the BB prices are same as you would pay at dealer. As HiD mentions, you can get 10% off however due to our TriumphRat.net site sponsorship.

Good luck with the project - keep us up on the progress!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are the best! I really appreciate the help.

DEcosse, I don't mind knocking the tank mounts off the frame and welding new ones on if I decide to go that route. Could I use a 1050 radiator and delete all of that silly fill neck garbage entirely?

As far as bodywork, I really like the tail section and the tail light, but I don't care for the 595 fairings or headlight much at all... I do ahve a bunch of extra bodywork, but it is mostly Daytona stuff: lowers, bottom skirt, mounting tabs, etc.

If I went to a later head, could I use the later header? How much performance difference would there be in just swapping heads and swapping the entire motor? What would I do about the electronics? I would mod the stock collector or fab a new one before I went to all that trouble for a slip on, but if I were to fall into the later model parts...

I used to know a bunch of the guys at ronayers.com... I wonder if I could convince them to take up the Triumph stuff....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I've seen it mentioned that Ducati SSSA wheels can be used on Triumphs with a spacer or minor mods. Do you know of any specifics? Any idea where I might find specifics other than buying a Duc wheel and taking measurements on both?

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
I can dig up the difference for you on the duc wheel - it has a different offset to the bolt flange, however the flange itself is similar - you would need a spacer and some longer locating dowels that would need to be custom made.

On the cooling system, it's less the filler neck, but the whole thermostat and temp sender is in that assembly. (on later engines those are in the motor)
The header flange is different - so you could weld the flanges onto the later header if you wanted to accommodate complete header assembly from later bike.

Engine swap to later (02+) is a long way from T595 - that is pretty much what I have from similar vintage T509. It's extensive list!
You will need
Engine/ airbox/headers & exhaust/ oil cooler (different fittings)/radiator (or filler neck adapter)/ complete wiring harness & ECM/ Rectifier-Regulator/ Instruments/ rearsets (old pedal will interfere with header)/rear fender-battery box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why the rear fender and battery box? ECU accomodations?

And is the wheel nut the same other than the Triumph is a hex and the Duc is a 12 point or castle nut?

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Why the rear fender and battery box? ECU accomodations?
Exactly
You'll need fender anyway when you pull the Black Widow. if you stick with the current motor you'll need a 97/98 fender - for later ECM it would be the later model
And is the wheel nut the same other than the Triumph is a hex and the Duc is a 12 point or castle nut?
You'll need the nut for the Triumph axle I believe - not sure if the conical spacer is same - might need the one from the Duc

Here's some reference info on using a Duc wheel on a Triumph hub - now this is on a Suzuki! :p but the info is all relevant

http://www.tlzone.net/forums/perfor...le-sided-swingarm-into-tls-7.html#post1035762

It looks like offset is 15mm difference between the wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts