Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a few years since I shopped in a BX or Commissary...actually it has been 31 years since I was in the USAF. I was wondering if they still had great discounts for the serviceman? I know when I was in the discounted prices were excellent. I would also like to know how it is in countries other than the US....I know we are not the center of the universe....:D

·
Premium Member
2,018 Posts
I used to use the NEX and commissary when I lived near a Navy base. The savings on groceries was great!
There's a very small CG Exchange near where I live now, but the only major items I usually buy is cheap booze! :p

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caddy I use to have parties with all my AF buddies ....we would go out and get several gallons of Seagram and instead of Seven Up we use a less expensive Bubble up...cheap but it got you where you wanted to be.....:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
The price gap isn't as good as it once was. That said, it still isn't bad. The Tax Free aspect can make the difference. Here at Hill, they just opened up a gun shop in the BX, so I've visited more in recent days.
In Utah another huge benefit is the Class VI store, since Utah liquor laws treat everyone like children. I have yet to set foot in a State Run Liquor store here (thankfully).
Commisary is still generally a pretty good deal. Selection can be hit or miss.

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
Internet shopping has put its mark on AAFES in my opinion. With that said though, these stores are still a lifeline for those of us stationed overseas. I was able to get things out in the community since being stationed at Lakenheath which was a real treat. I have mainly been a PACRAT though and that I am going back to Japan I will have the same headache again; a 6'5", 225 pound living amongst the little people. It is either the BX or the internet for my choices.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I noticed the commissary at Ft. Sill had good deals but the PX there and at Rucker, (I'm sure its all standardized), were not terribly good prices, especially electronics. I would never buy anything entertainment/electronics related from AAFES, you'll pay more than elsewhere.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The exchange will price match and you save the sales tax.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Angie and I shop the at Kirtland BX once a month and the commissary every two weeks.

I agree with Overkill, wait for the sales especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. We save about .05 per gallon of gas. In recent years AAFES has adopted a policy to stay within 10% of off base vendors. Not sure why but I thinks it's more to appease. There used to be quite abit larger savings until the adopted this policy. They will price match if you can show them in writing.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2

·
Registered
866 Posts
Angie and I shop the at Kirtland BX once a month and the commissary every two weeks.

I agree with Overkill, wait for the sales especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. We save about .05 per gallon of gas. In recent years AAFES has adopted a policy to stay within 10% of off base vendors. Not sure why but I thinks it's more to appease. There used to be quite abit larger savings until the adopted this policy. They will price match if you can show them in writing.

Cheers

Can't prove it myself, but I was told that federal law directs that they may not undercut local pricing by much. Let's face it, they charge "local" rates for tobacco & adult beverages & it's not like they pay the local taxes.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
I can sure remember when the military didn't really care about off base vendors but I guess times they are a changin. They used to take such good care of us. If it was still that way, I'd never shop anywhere except the BX or the AAFES online catalog.:)

Of course I'm still pissed off about having to pay for my free medical care for life, the government promised and I still have in writing. But that's another story!;)

Cheers

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the seventies it was like that as well. They raised the prices so that the locals would not be impacted....I to disagree with that warped logic.....

·
Registered
840 Posts
I am retired Navy, retired in 85, and use both a AF facility and a Navy facility here in Florida. Very seldom is the price for items the same in both places. I know that years ago their prices were by law required to be at least 10% above cost as a means to protect local vendors and make a profit as they are self supporting. The biggest advantage for me of these facilities is that I can find food products there that are not available outside or are very expensive. Like anywhere else you have to shop around, some items are priced real good, some not. I also use these facilities because it is through them that special services (recreational sevices) gets a lot of their funding.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts