Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Put in a few hours on the TSX today, rebuilding the carburetors and putting parts on backwards and upside down... because of course. If I don't know which orientation a part is, and it can only fit one of two ways, I'll put it on wrong the first time, every time.

Here's the timelapse video that I posted to the YouTube channel. The recording was over two hours long, but I condensed it down to a 17 minute video. The first carburetor is at 8x speed, and most of the second is at 20x.

The carbs are only attached on the engine side. I don't have clamps for the airbox side yet, and I'm waiting for some new air filters and rubber seals for the airbox side panels. I still need fuel lines, but the throttle and choke cables are attached and adjusted as evenly as I could get them.

I'm hoping the next video I can post will be trying to get it started!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've always wanted to find an unmoleted bike like that. What you may have to spend, to make it right, may be more that what it's worth, but who cares, it has electric start.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I've always wanted to find an unmoleted bike like that. What you may have to spend, to make it right, may be more that what it's worth, but who cares, it has electric start.
Oh Lord, don't tell me that. 😅

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Short video of mounting the carburetors. I had a tough time with the right one, because the airbox seems to be twisted toward the right but the left carburetor was positioned perfectly. I'm not sure yet if that can be adjusted, but I was able to make it work for now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It is unfortunate that the late 70's and early 80's triumphs don't have much value, because I actually think that Triumph was actually trying hard to be competitive. My 79 T140E is the best built, and best handling bike, of all my old triumphs. I'd really like to have an electric start. I was watching a very nice 82' on mecum auction last year, that was bid to only $2500. I contacted mecum and they told me the reserve was $6500. What you have going for you with that TSX, is that, it is very rare.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts