Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It belonged to the grandfather of a new neighbor of mine. He invited me over to a poker game in his garage with his dad and a few friends. When his dad found out that I own a 2001 Bonneville and ride quite a lot, he mentioned that he had his father's '83 T140 TSX in his barn, where it had been sitting for the last 35 years. I've been dreaming of stumbling across a barnfind for YEARS, but they're always too far gone or way too expensive - so imagine the shock when he said I could, just, like... HAVE it. For free.

The carburetors, side covers and front fender came with it, removed by my neighbor's dad last year when he tried to get it running. He quickly gave up on it after finding out how hard to find parts for these Bing carbs can be.

This is my first time with a vintage Triumph. The next few weeks will show how much work I have ahead of me as I strip it down, clean and organize parts, and see what's missing or needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ill put this link in my TSX thread as well however i just uploaded my BING file to media fire so you and whomever else wants can review and enjoy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all the bing carb info you'll ever need so long as you have good shells
The carbs are in incredible shape with the exception of the springs on the outside. All 4 of them are rusted, and 1 is broken. I have a lot to learn about what each part is called and what it does - these are a far cry from the Mikuni carbs on my '01 Bonneville. There are 3 screws and a gasket missing from a piece that attaches with 4 screws and a spring (which is the broken one) to the side of one of the carbs. The other one was fully assembled, and the springs were there but very rusty. All of the rubber hose is rock-hard, as would be expected.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm also just realizing that I now own a bike made in Triumph's last year ('83) and a bike from Triumph's first year back (2001). Looking at the next to each other, that's an odd sensation.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You’re on a winner there.

Reactions: SamLynn79

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice score!

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
It has no value, i will come and clear it away for you.
It will make a nice bike with a lot of work to do. Remember to photograph everything as you take it apart so you can look again in the future putting it all back.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
That’s a great find, congratulations. It’s easy to find a new model, perfect running bike. But to find an old neglected bike, and bring it back to it’s glory, will be special. Enjoy the process and the new ride!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hi Sam
Great price on the TSX, although I was kinda hoping you was going to say you won it in the poker game.
As you have probably realised, this is one of the rarest Triumphs.

According to reports only 371 made.

The last one made on 21 Dec 82 (for the 83 season) (Wikipedia)
It would be interesting to find the date yours was made, the month should be easy Triumph Serial Numbers
but you might have to consult the VMCC in the UK for the day.

For Bing spares, it might be worthwhile checking out the BMW sites, they fitted loads of them.

Recommissioning might involve a little work, as you have already stated the rubber parts go hard. There are a couple of vital parts in the engine that are likely to cause leaks or problems.
Inlet valve seals, pushrod seals, tappet block seals (hidden), crankshaft oil pressure seal, rocker shaft seals, after 40 years sitting they are likely to have deteriorated and cause leaks that would make deepwater horizon seem like a dribble. Unfortunately that means stripping the head barrels and timing cover off. Gearbox seals require primary and gearbox outer cover off. Not much in parts but a lot of time.
One valve will have been permanently open, the springs should be checked for length in case they have ‘set’, dropping a valve after start up would be a little inconvenient.
The open valve might have allowed moist air into the cylinder, coating the walls with rust, it would be nice to check this.
but all in all, what a brilliant find, super pleased for you.

regards
Peg

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Cheap is good Free is better.

When you get it running be careful of the E start..

K

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For Bing spares, it might be worthwhile checking out the BMW sites, they fitted loads of them.
I've already got some parts on the way from Max BMW! The boots in front of and behind the carbs were all missing, and the throttle return springs and choke return springs were badly rusted, one of which was broken completely. One of the chokes had been removed, and 3 of the mounting screws were missing as well as the gasket. I got all 4 springs, 4 new screws for the choke, and a carburetor rebuild kit that includes all the gaskets and o-rings for both carbs ordered from Max BMW, and found a set of carb-to-engine boots on eBay. Still hunting for carb-to-airbox boots.

Recommissioning might involve a little work, as you have already stated the rubber parts go hard. There are a couple of vital parts in the engine that are likely to cause leaks or problems.
Inlet valve seals, pushrod seals, tappet block seals (hidden), crankshaft oil pressure seal, rocker shaft seals, after 40 years sitting they are likely to have deteriorated and cause leaks that would make deepwater horizon seem like a dribble. Unfortunately that means stripping the head barrels and timing cover off. Gearbox seals require primary and gearbox outer cover off. Not much in parts but a lot of time.
One valve will have been permanently open, the springs should be checked for length in case they have ‘set’, dropping a valve after start up would be a little inconvenient.
The open valve might have allowed moist air into the cylinder, coating the walls with rust, it would be nice to check this.
but all in all, what a brilliant find, super pleased for you.

regards
Peg
That's EXACTLY the kind of information I needed! I had no idea what seals in the engine itself would need to be checked/replaced, and good thinking about the valves. I'll be investigating that in depth!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today I gave the TSX a good cleaning, looking for missing parts, and finished the first official YouTube video on it.

It cleaned up very well. Rust seems to be minimal, and only surface. This week I received all the parts I ordered, the rubber boots from carb to engine and from carb to airbox, throttle and choke return springs, and a full carb rebuild kit with float needles. Next weekend I'll be trying to see if I can get it to run!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts