Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple different sites where an individual replaced the springs that came with a Barnett clutch kit with heavier duty "green springs". Any reason for this?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
slip

As wenzel said. They are the same as used in certain ducatis. I have done a bit to my bonnie and slippage became an issue. Change is fairly easy wait till an oil change makes life simple. If you remove discs make sure they align, dont need the tool, but if they bind then you will be stripping down and new gasket.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
My motor is 99% stock, with only some airbox and exhaust changes, and I had clutch slippage under some circumstances, e.g. passenger on back and starting uphill from a full stop. The Barnett green springs took care of it, no regrets.

I think that the Barnett springs should have been OEM instead of the springs that Triumph put in. The clutch pull will be slightly stiffer, but it's not a big difference.

In my useless opinion, Barnett green springs, a MOSFET regulator-rectifier, and the TTP Safe-Start are three things that every owner should seriously consider installing, right at the top of the list with Allen-head carburetor screws.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And the green springs are better than the "heavy duty" springs that already come with the Barnett kevlar clutch?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
adequate

And the green springs are better than the "heavy duty" springs that already come with the Barnett kevlar clutch?
Maybe not too many head too heads. But the green springs have never let me down. As I said they came from ducati which are known for gobs of torque. Mind dont think Barnett would produce some thing not up to scratch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was wondering the exact same thing Achtungoctane.
My Bonneville has a lot of mileage on it and has started slipping, so figured I’d put a Barnett clutch kit in.
I am gathering that most people would discard the springs that Barnett supply in the clutch kit and instead install a set of their Green springs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You get your truth and fact-based information that is direct from the manufacturer out of here! This is an internet forum, by God. I am trying to believe over here and now you want me to think?!

I'm going to a tire/tyre thread so I can read some more anecdotal opinions espoused as facts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts