Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody.
I had the triumph dealer in NYC install this high performance Barnett Clutch Kit
http://www.british-customs.com/barnett-high-performance-clutch-kit.html

First of all they seemed to be a bit confused about the installation since it wasn't a stock kit.

Long story short, I ended up having to to open it up myself with the aid of an experience mechanic. We saw a few things,
1. The friction plates are covered in a sepia color (perhaps it's adhesive for the asbestos?), and that seemed to have splattered everywhere. I wish I would have taken a photo but you can see the sepia spun off like a liquid everywhere.
2. The metal plates were almost completely smooth (No texture) and also blued from a lot of heat

We roughed up the metal plates and reinstalled the plates.

First question though
There were five friction plates that were all identical, and then there was one plate that was about 1.5 cm thinner than the others. Not thinner in width of the actual plate, but circumfrence of the inner hole was larger than the others making the surface area smaller than the others..
This was one head scratcher and we chose to put that plate on the outside.

After we reinstalled the assembly, it seemed to have solved the initial problem of the clutch slipping when I would pop the clutch. (It would almost sound like sand paper scraping for a split second before the plates would catch and the bike would go).

But it still seems like the clutch isn't fully disengaging.

I'm sure that no one can give me the definitive answer about this, but has anyone had experience with installing the Barnett kits? Any clues about the odd plate?

I'm bummed that it already seems like I have to purchase another plate kit, but I want to make sure that it's done right this time (which means NOT having the overpriced triumph dealer install it!!)

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
what color where the springs in your clutch kit? the odd disc goes on one end of the clutch pack I want to say its the frist one that goes in the basket its been so long since i put mine in i am not sure.If your kit had gold springs that maybe causeing it to not disingauge there longer then stock springs and can coil bind in some bikes the green springs are better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what color where the springs in your clutch kit? the odd disc goes on one end of the clutch pack I want to say its the frist one that goes in the basket its been so long since i put mine in i am not sure.If your kit had gold springs that maybe causeing it to not disingauge there longer then stock springs and can coil bind in some bikes the green springs are better.
Thanks Cafe! I'm going to call Barnett on Monday. Mike I believe that the springs were indeed Gold. I had been reading about the Green springs and was dissapointed when I received the gold ones. This could be my problm! Geez. I ordered it from British Customs you figure they would know!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
You would think wouldnt you but they keep selling them like that as do some of the others that dont know any better.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Clutch plates

There's a note on the manual:

"The innermost and outermost friction plates and outermost steel plate are different from the other plates. Store all plates in their correct fitted order to avoid confusion on installation".

The friction plate thickness is given as 2.92 to 3.08 for all plates.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
his are not stock plates and its a friction plate that is made different on the barnett clutch

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Barnett has recently changed all the part numbers for the Triumph clutches. Gold (Honda) springs are correct with the complete kit. Green (Suzuki) springs are correct for use with stock plates.

/Mike

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Mike the gold springs are to long in alot of bikes people have had trouble with them binding they got that wrong .How they came up with that god only knows but its not right.The green springs will work with ether stock or there plates .Some bikes the gold springs work fine but not all I think its up to how triumph made the basket.I dont think there all the same .

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
his are not stock plates and its a friction plate that is made different on the barnett clutch
+1
for the Barnett kit:
the thinner friction plate goes on the central hub last so that when reinstalled it is the innermost plate.

Me and my buddy just did ours. we used greenies
we like. nice and positive.

Barnett has recently changed all the part numbers for the Triumph clutches. Gold (Honda) springs are correct with the complete kit. Green (Suzuki) springs are correct for use with stock plates.
maybe so, but I'm with MikeinVA on this.
The green springs will work with ether stock or there (Barnett) plates
I used greenies on both stock and Barnett clutchs. They work much better than gold

Maybe Barnett think that with better friction plates they can use a lighter spring and not get slip.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
I use the Barnett clutch in mine but if i did it over again I might think about useing the stock plates with the green or red springs .The Barnett plates grab alittle more then is needed .On these bikes you can tune the bikes clutch to the torque you have even the green springs will let the clutch slip after you get over a point .I changed to red springs in mine when I had the stroker in there.I think carlos runs green springs with a shim in his bike.That will work to if your clutch has enough room for the shim.Any spring puts more force on the plates when you compress the spring more .I think the gold springs are not as strong per same compression as the green springs thats why they are longer(you compress them more to get the same force on the clutch .That may or may not give you a easyer clutch pull.But if you dont have room enough for the clutch to dis ingauge before they coil bind they wont work .
I like the red springs with the late model lower lever it pulls alittle harder but I am use to it and I think it will hold anything these motors can throw at it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I use the Barnett clutch in mine but if i did it over again I might think about useing the stock plates with the green or red springs .The Barnett plates grab alittle more then is needed .On these bikes you can tune the bikes clutch to the torque you have even the green springs will let the clutch slip after you get over a point .I changed to red springs in mine when I had the stroker in there.I think carlos runs green springs with a shim in his bike.That will work to if your clutch has enough room for the shim.Any spring puts more force on the plates when you compress the spring more .I think the gold springs are not as strong per same compression as the green springs thats why they are longer(you compress them more to get the same force on the clutch .That may or may not give you a easyer clutch pull.But if you dont have room enough for the clutch to dis ingauge before they coil bind they wont work .
I like the red springs with the late model lower lever it pulls alittle harder but I am use to it and I think it will hold anything these motors can throw at it.
I too am still having clutch problems. This is the only mystery left to solve on my scrambler. I went from a stock clutch (and gold springs) to a heavy duty EBC clutch (which I think also had gold springs...). Both were installed by Triumph mechanics (surprise surprise). Your theory about the space available and the length of the gold springs makes sense. My clutch does not release smoothly at the end. When I let it out slow, the last little bit gives me a "twumph" of torque like it's jumping out too quick. I have to rev the engine a little to keep it from doing that. Does that make sense? I mean, it's ok, but I know this isn't right. This has been driving me nuts for years now. I'm thinking of trying green springs and putting in a new stock clutch. I was going to put in a Barnet clutch, but I don't know now. BTW, I tired calling those guys as they're right by where I live, but I couldn't get an answer back. After reading this post, I doubt I will buy their clutch. I've ask two of our "custom parts dealers" and they don't seem to know or care, they just want to sell you what's on their shelf. Do you advise buying the Triumph clutch tools? Too bad you are mikeinva and not mikeinca I could use the help. Thanks for the posts though. Always good.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
The after market plates do grab harder then stock .I bet thats what you are feeling. you dont need the clutch tools you can do it with out them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that this is what I'm going to do. Stock plates, with green springs. Here's my next numbskull question. I'm trying to order the plates from Bike Bandit, and the fiche is showing 3 different part numbers for plates, and only 3 plates. I know that there are more than 3 plates so anyone know what I should order? I want to send you guys pictures of how the barnett kit looks after I crack it open again.
http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-m...100-eng-no-211132-and-below/o/m17657sch569410

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
2ea#7 4ea#5 5ea#6 I think is what you need the#7 are the innermost and outer most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got my plates. I'll post pics of what I was talking about with the Barnett plates. Hopefully this will solve my issue though, I've had a couple of grinds when shifting from 1st to 2nd and vice versa and man nothing grinds your soul more than that

1 - 16 of 16 Posts