Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I don't know of the bargain - I'm looking for it!

Hit some road debris on my way home from work last week and felt the handling deteriorate a mile later. Pulled over just as the last of the air in my rear tyre departed :(
Thankfully the tyre only had a few hundred miles left in it and I was close to a mates so got the bike there and called the recovery service. Recovery guy arrived after an hour and half and did a temporary fix which got me home :)

So, I'm now on the lookout for a new set of hoops and thought I'd ask you lot if you've seen any bargains out there
120/70 & 180/55

Something in the 'Sport' range below would be ideal.

·
Registered
509 Posts
all depends on the miles you do and in what kinda period. I ride almost every day short hops and also weekend blasts down south so I rack up the miles. Despite some critisism of Bridgestones grip I personally like them. I run a BT020 on the rear and a BT014 on the front.

I found running an 010 on the back meant that if I wanted to go sponaniously (as you do) go 2up to scotland for a weekend, the 010 would be shot after that much wieght and hours on the motorway. Also when I had 010 all round I found that the rear goes way before the front, so putting the 020 on the rear means that the change periods are closer, I get an extended life at the rear and still keep the grip on the front.

Some people dont like a little slip in the rear but I like it :) its not unpredictable, I know the situations when its going to happen and so when it does it puts a little smile on my face, but then thats whats good about sticking with some tires for a while, you get to know em.

I'm not going to debate what tires are best cos frankly I've only known the bridges, I'd say go with what you know unless what you know doesnt feel good. Each to thier own, like I said its down to the miles you do and the type of riding, my bike gets me around and as much as I love a good blast, its not a track bike :) .

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally know where you’re coming from.
I’ve had one set of 010’s and two sets of Metzeller Sportec M1’s on the Speed Four to date. To be honest I’m not massively bothered about one brand over the other as I tend to be driven by whatever I can get a deal on at the time - hence the request for any deals you know of :idea:

I’ve considered putting a ‘Sport Touring’ tyre at the back but as I do one or two track days a year I prefer a ‘Sport’ tyre. Trouble is I’m not exactly canning it round the twisty bits over in the winter months so a Sports Tourer would serve me better at the moment. Maybe I should get a spare rear wheel and then I can have the best of both worlds – definitely if I finally get to ride over to Spain next year.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I use Avon Azaro (sport touring) on both my bikes. 120/70 + 180/55 £149 from FWR London (if you spend over £150 post free) you can order over the phone or the web. I do fit & balance myself though.

As for sport tyres, well I have done two track days on the Speed Triple and have had no problems with grip (one wet and one dry day) On the road you don't need anything else.
I think Avon has just brought out a new tyre might be worth checking. BTW they do a replacement if you have a punture within a certain tread wear. They are true to there word as I had a puncture within 2 months of fitting.

Before trying the Avon I would only use Bridgestone 020s but I have been converted to the Avon now. My mate even uses them on his 06 fireblade.
Ray

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Super sticky track or sport tyres often give you less grip on the road as they never reach the operating temperatures required for them to work properly. They are realy only good for track days or long high speed runs. I'd go for a sport touring tyre every time. They have longevity and believe it or not they get up to operating temperature bertter on the road than the sport comp stuff.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I think there was an special article in the last copy of BIKE I read that had looked at all sorts of tires and had come to the conclusion of, as the title of the investigation "Never buy a sports tyre again"
I should read it, but it confirmed what I think. Unless you are pushing things to the extreme an ST tire is fine.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I had Michelin macadams on before-hard wearing but the Avon Azaros I've replaced them with are far superior.

I read the Bike mag thingy on tyres as well-recucled it but there should be something on the bike website.

[ This message was edited by: GeneralPig on 2006-11-26 12:53 ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts